Crab nearly drowned in water pool!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
FJrocks003

Crab nearly drowned in water pool!

Post by FJrocks003 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:34 pm

I was going to feed my crabs today when I saw this; a crab was laying limp in the freshwater pool. I noticed that the ladder to get in and out was broken, leaving no way out. He was one of my larger 2 and was in a very destructive mood (probably about to molt); he must have climbed in then tour up the ladder living no way out. I quickly removed him and put him in an iso tank. He wasn't dead yet, he was fidgeting his claws a bit and moving his eyes around but not trying to move at all. I had checked on the tank a hour before so he couldn't have been in there for too long. It has been about 2.5 hours sence and he hasn't moved at all, no smell yet so I'm still hopeful. It would be heartbreaking if he died today... I got him almost exactly a year ago today. Anyone know of anything I could do to help?
Indigo, Fleck, Flame, Dilly, and our newest addition: Thunder
RIP: Bubbles (passed on Wednesday March 31, 2020)

jonathon1989

Re: Crab nearly drowned in water pool!

Post by jonathon1989 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:53 pm

The best thing you can do is leave him so he can destress. Give him access to food and water. My poor girl Ginger who passed away began smelling immediately after she died, so you will know if he does pass away.

Jonathon

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:20 pm

An hpur doesn't sound like it wpuld have impacted the crab much. Sometimes when crabs die, they will seek out their pools and die in them, giving the appearance that they drowned.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:36 pm

I have seen our crabs hang out in our deep pools for several hours without resurfacing. Some crabbers reported them hanging out in water for 12 or more hours with air bubblers..

I think Aussie is right with seeking out water. Perhaps being in water makes it easier for them to more around when they are weak.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
FJrocks003

Post by FJrocks003 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:09 pm

I gave him some bee pollen, calcium, and protein supplement on a cotton ball an put it right next to his mouth. He still hasn't moved, but he is less pale and was wiggling his antenna a little, hopefully he eats tonight.

Topic author
FJrocks003

Post by FJrocks003 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:44 am

Good news! He ate and drank a bit this mourning, he still hasn't moved from that place but he looks a bit better. I'm not so sure that he was seeking out water because he was "weak", just before the incident he was tearing up everything within reach. I suppose he could have hurt himself while doing so or picked a fight with the larger crab.

jonathon1989

Post by jonathon1989 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:45 am

FJrocks003 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:44 am
Good news! He ate and drank a bit this mourning, he still hasn't moved from that place but he looks a bit better. I'm not so sure that he was seeking out water because he was "weak", just before the incident he was tearing up everything within reach. I suppose he could have hurt himself while doing so or picked a fight with the larger crab.
That is great to hear!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:19 pm

Thats good. Hopefully he perks up more in time.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies