Help! Crabs fighting!!!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Mdestefano

Help! Crabs fighting!!!

Post by Mdestefano » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:53 pm

I got a new crab a week ago to join my solo crab. They’ve seen to have been getting along but I think I just broke up a fight. They were doing the antenna touching thing aggressively and then the started jumping on each other face to face. It wasn’t a jump from behind situation. They were like wrestling and moving frantically. I seperated them and they immediately started doing it again. I’m freaking out. I moved one to a cage alone but the cage is not equipped for long term. I really need help because I’m worried they will hurt eachother but I can’t leave the one outside the cage. What happened and what should I do? My cage is set up to the proper conditions.

crabs_lex

Re: Help! Crabs fighting!!!

Post by crabs_lex » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:12 pm

it could just be a dominance thing i’m not sure because it hasnt happened to my guys but i know it happens with lots of others

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:06 am

Did you try dipping both crabs in the fresh/salt water when you introduced them? This makes them smell like the same crabitat, and hopefully reduces the chances of fighting. I've had success so far with this method.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
Mdestefano

Post by Mdestefano » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:21 pm

I completely forgot to do this before and once I remembered they had seemed to be getting along for a few days and didn’t want to mess with them too much. After the fighting last night, I immediately dipped them and I don’t think there’s been conflict since, as far as I know. Is the antenna thing always aggressive or can it be friendly too? They do it a lot.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:59 pm

Mdestefano wrote:I completely forgot to do this before and once I remembered they had seemed to be getting along for a few days and didn’t want to mess with them too much. After the fighting last night, I immediately dipped them and I don’t think there’s been conflict since, as far as I know. Is the antenna thing always aggressive or can it be friendly too? They do it a lot.
Antennae waving isn't always confrontation. I notice mine will do it as they pass each other. Kinda like a "hi how ya doin'?". Here's a pic of 2 of my crabs having a friendly convo lol.Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav