New Hermit Owner

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
ahguerra

New Hermit Owner

Post by ahguerra » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:41 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
I use ZooMed coconut fiber and it is 1 1/2 inches deep.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
yes, its at the top right corner of the tank, and its usually at 75.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
yes, a heating lamp

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
both salt and fresh water, and I use ZooMed the salt conditioner.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
ZooMed pallets and its replaced every morning.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
about 4 weeks, and i am not too sure what species they are

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
not yet.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
they are kept in a 10 gallon glass tank, and it has a mesh lid.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
2, there is a smaller one, and a bigger one.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
about 7

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
no

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
everyday and I usually take the crabs out and put them in a smaller temporary tank, i sift their dirt and sand, wash their pools, and put everything organized for them.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
yes there is one sponge, and i put the sponge in water and squish it until it looks clean.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
yes, I added a hut to the tank about a week ago.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
my crab has been very odd, it hangs our its shell, and I am not too sure what to do. The crabs were given to me as a gift for my birthday. I have a large one and a smaller sized one. The smaller one used to be very outgoing, and would move a lot. However, for the past couple of days, he doesn't move a lot and has been hanging out of its shell. I am really trying to take great care of them, but am having trouble understanding how to take care of them. If someone can please help me understand how to take care of them, I would appreciate it. So far, I have a water pool, food pallets, thermometer, multiple shells for them to pick, a hut, sand, and some kind of brown dirt specifically for them. Also, I have heard about molting, but I don't understand how it works.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New Hermit Owner

Post by curlysister » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:53 pm

I would encourage you to look through the files in the 'care sheets' section. There is tons of info there. Start with the Basic care sheet, then look through the other sections for more detailed information. I have made some suggestions in bold below.

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
I use ZooMed coconut fiber and it is 1 1/2 inches deep.
Curly - Your sub should be at least 3 times as deep as your largest crab. Be sure it is moistened with dechlorinated water, so the crabs can make tunnels and caves that don't collapse.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
yes, its at the top right corner of the tank, and its usually at 75.
Curly - Is that the humidity or the temp? You need to measure both.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
yes, a heating lamp
Curly - Heat lamps often zap humidity, an Under Tank Heater (UTH) mounted on the back or side might be a better option.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
both salt and fresh water, and I use ZooMed the salt conditioner.
Curly - This type of water isn't appropriate long term. See the 'water' care sheet for info about dechlorinators and marine salt.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
ZooMed pallets and its replaced every morning.
Curly - Commercial foods like pellets often have preservatives that can be harmful. Crabs can eat many of the same foods as we do. They need protein and calcium daily. Check out the 'food' care sheets for more info.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
about 4 weeks, and i am not too sure what species they are

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
not yet.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
they are kept in a 10 gallon glass tank, and it has a mesh lid.
Curly - If you need to hold in humidity (which should be around 80%), you are going to need to cover the lid. Plastic wrap like Saran Wrap can be used, but not with a heat light.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
2, there is a smaller one, and a bigger one.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
about 7

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
no

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
everyday and I usually take the crabs out and put them in a smaller temporary tank, i sift their dirt and sand, wash their pools, and put everything organized for them.
Curly - You don't need to take them out, just do spot cleaning of the poop and any bits of food they have dragged around. Do you have both dirt and sand?

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
yes there is one sponge, and i put the sponge in water and squish it until it looks clean.
Curly -Sponges are not needed, they often just harbor bacteria. You can put a natural sponge in dry for them to eat, but not wet in the water. Your pools need to be deep enough for the crabs to submerge, but also have a way to climb out. You can use something like craft mesh instead of the sponges.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
yes, I added a hut to the tank about a week ago.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
my crab has been very odd, it hangs our its shell, and I am not too sure what to do. The crabs were given to me as a gift for my birthday. I have a large one and a smaller sized one. The smaller one used to be very outgoing, and would move a lot. However, for the past couple of days, he doesn't move a lot and has been hanging out of its shell. I am really trying to take great care of them, but am having trouble understanding how to take care of them. If someone can please help me understand how to take care of them, I would appreciate it. So far, I have a water pool, food pallets, thermometer, multiple shells for them to pick, a hut, sand, and some kind of brown dirt specifically for them. Also, I have heard about molting, but I don't understand how it works.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers