Shell fight

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
SNAX

Shell fight

Post by SNAX » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:10 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
half eco earth half play sand, 7-8 inches minimum in all places

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Yes, I have a thermostat that stays at 80 degrees and 85-90 humidity

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
two uth on sides of tank

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

both are available, ocean saltwater mix is used and reverse osmosis freshwater from my well with no chlorine added

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
i make my own dried fruits/veggies and also fresh fruits and nuts

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
one for four years one for two weeks both pps

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
n/a

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

15 gallon tank with a 10 gallon topper

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
2, newest crab is bigger like 1inch opening shell and the other is smaller

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
i have three shells that. fit them and a bunch of other shells i just recently read they don’t like

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

no
12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
just re did the whole tank

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

no
14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
the new crab

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
no

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

When i first got my new crab, they had a shell fight. they were fine for a week and I went on vacation for a week (left lots of dry food) the food had no mould was perfect and had plenty of protein etc. The little crab took the big ones new shell after he tried another and i guess he wants it back. I ordered a whole bunch of new shells like 15 shells for them from naples almost two weeks ago. I haven’t heard anything and have received no emails. i called them 8 times over the past two weeks with no answer. My crabs are going to kill eachother over this and i have no way to contact naples about what’s going on with my order. There is no place to get wheels where I live other than online but i just spent $30 on shells and shipping and I don’t wanna have to buy more just for them to come in tomorrow or something. how can i contact naples? they don’t seem to answer or respond as i have heard other similar stories on the reddit page.
Thanks so much for any help

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Shell fight

Post by curlysister » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:19 pm

Can you separate the crabs, until you get the shells figured out?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
SNAX

Post by SNAX » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:40 pm

Hey I found a pet store that had several unpainted shells. I bought 5 good fitting ones, dipped them in saltwater and one crab switched they aren’t fighting at all. Never ordering from naples again as I just had to waste $20 of 5 shells because they cant respond to me. For all I know they took my $ and ran :( Crabs are all good now, i’ll post pics of his new shell :)

xambackwards

Post by xambackwards » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:41 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HappyHermit0916

Post by HappyHermit0916 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:52 pm

xambackwards wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:41 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am glad it all worked out :D
I am disappointed in naples because they are a very recommended company
Cute crab :crabbigsmile: !!!!
29 gallon crabitat and 20 gallon long crabitat
My hermit crab YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJWuO8Urh5X94yipfRNiVRA
RIP Lola, the best hermit crab
Love you Reynie, Piper, Opal, Ridley, and Jasper