fresh molted has bugs!!!!!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

CrabbyLover77

Re: fresh molted has bugs!!!!!

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:24 am

Did you add any new crabs recently? Like within a week or two? I don't know too much about mites, but I would think the bad kind need to be introduced by another new crab that brought them along.

If you want to be on the safe side, follow the directions on bathing and iso under the "crab mites" section of the page GB gave the link for.

I wish I could tell you for sure what kind of mites you have. I'm sorry I couldn't be more help.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:39 am

the one was newer yes
i do check all my crabs before putting them in the tank and i didn’t see any one him but like i said before i barely saw them when i discovered them...

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:56 am

I def understand, mites are so tiny and so hard to see. I only took notice to my food mites because I saw little spots of light moving at night in front of my crab camera. It made me look at the food dishes and mats closer after that.

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Topic author
crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:47 am

so far three out of 22 have mites
i really have to keep checking all of them bc i have no choice but to put them all back in the 55 gal (i know you should isolate them in a bare tank for at least 3 days u til you stop seeing mites) but i couldn’t keep all those crabs in a 10 gal😬

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:01 am

Have you thought about getting those predatory mites the HCA mites page suggested? Then you wouldn't have to worry about stripping your tank down or overcrowding your iso. Maybe Amazon or another online place might have them, but not exactly sure where you could pick them up.

Topic author
crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:23 am

unfortunately that’s not an option for me

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:25 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:48 pm
GB, she said it's 55gal. I would think that's small for 21 crabs unless they are tiny.
Thanks, I missed that info. IMO that is way to small of a tank for 21 crabs.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:34 pm

crabs_lex wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:23 am
unfortunately that’s not an option for me
If you go to the original post that I gave you, viewtopic.php?f=67&t=92530, they tell you everything that you can do to treat the mites. You can bathe them, or you can purchase predatory mites.

Several years ago I purchased predatory mites for my garden. I decided to put them in two of my tanks as well. Since then, I have not had ANY mites or springtails in those two tanks. If you have a fear of bugs, I highly recommend purchasing the Hypoaspis miles predatory mites. They are a little costly, but well worth it if you don't have the patience to clean your tank from top to bottom. ;) Good luck!

As far as the crab situation - Too each's own. I know you didn't come here for anyone to criticize you. It might work for you now, but as the crabs grow it will not. I highly recommend that you provide A LOT of calcium and protein on a regular basis to prevent any cannabilizing. Good luck! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com