My hermit crab has red mites!!!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Serendipity

My hermit crab has red mites!!!

Post by Serendipity » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:20 am

My hermit crab has RED mites, I saw two of them on Salty's shell!

My hermit crab(Salty) changed shells yesterday, and I got a new hermit crab(Pina Colada) two days ago. I was reading about mites, just in case one of my hermit crabs had them. So I picked up Salty checking him around, and on the side of his shell(His shell was a bit big on him so I could see behind him) I saw two little red mites. I quickly put him and Pina Colada in salt water. After a minute or two I took the crabs out, and checked the water only seeing coconut fiber floating around. I didn't see any red mites. I was worried that they might be gill mites and I herd those are bad because you only find out your hermit crab has them once its dead, so I went to the emergency section.

What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
I have coconut fiber mixed with a bit of calcium sand. It is about 2 inches deep. I know, I need to add more substrate. I'm working on that.

Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
I do have a humidity gauge and thermometer, it usually says 76 degrees-81 degrees F, and the humidity gauge says 75%-85% usually.

Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
I have a heating pad but I don't use it in the summer, it gets really hot in my house.

What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
I have fresh water and salt water, I use zoo meds dechlorinator for salt and fresh. The salt water also has zoo meds salt water mix.

What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
I feed my hermit crabs blood worms,hermit crab pellets, fruits(Non citrus) and vegetables. I change the food every other day, same with the water bowls.

How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
I have had Salty for about a year, and he is a Purple Pincher male. I have had Pina Colada for two days and she is a Purple Pincher female.

Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
Both hermit crabs have not molted while I have had them.

What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
They are kept in a ten gallon tank, and the lid is mesh, but I put tinfoil over most of it because it doesn't stay humid without it.

How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
Two crabs are in the tank, Salty is about an inch and half and Pina Colada is about the same but a bit smaller.

How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
I have about five in the tank.

Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No.

How often do you clean the tank and how?
I usually just clean all of the decoration and shells and wipe the walls about once every two months. I haven't cleaned the substrate except for picking up the random food and poop.

Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
I have a sea sponge in each water dish and is usually rinse the dirt off of them with the sink.

Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
I have been working on a cocnut hut DIY thingy, and the shell Salty recently changed into, and some ropes, and a tiny tree, and some vines.

Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? I never bathe my crabs or play with them. I only just bathed them today when I found the mites. I had fruit flys in my tank but they are gone now.

Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
I put that information at the top of the tank but here it is again:

My hermit crab(Salty) changed shells yesterday, and I got a new hermit crab(Pina Colada) two days ago. I was reading about mites, just in case one of my hermit crabs had them. So I picked up Salty checking him around, and on the side of his shell(His shell was a bit big on him so I could see behind him) I saw two little red mites. I quickly put him and Pina Colada in salt water. After a minute or two I took the crabs out, and checked the water only seeing coconut fiber floating around. I didn't see any red mites. I was worried that they might be gill mites and I herd those are bad because you only find out your hermit crab has them once its dead, so I went to the emergency section.

My three purple pinchers: Coconut- Male, medium. Mango- Female, medium. Blueberry- Female, small.

I'm not lazy- I'm just highly motivated to do nothing. ;)

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: My hermit crab has red mites!!!

Post by JoeHermits » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:31 pm

You wouldn’t see gill mites on a hermit crab since their gills are covered.

They sound like red velvet mites, which are small, red, native, and harmless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:01 pm

Oh thats amazing! Thank you so much.

So Red Velvet mites do nothing to hermit crabs and I don't have to clean the tank or anything? Also the mites I saw in Salty's shell were VERY small, and some pictures on google show that some red velvet mites are not extremely small.

I was SO worried about Salty and Pina Colada. But now I am fine, thank you so much again.
My three purple pinchers: Coconut- Male, medium. Mango- Female, medium. Blueberry- Female, small.

I'm not lazy- I'm just highly motivated to do nothing. ;)

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:59 pm

My hermit crab has RED mites, I saw two of them on Salty's shell!

What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
I have coconut fiber mixed with a bit of calcium sand. It is about 2 inches deep. I know, I need to add more substrate. I'm working on that.
Curly - You definitely want to make your sub deeper. It should be at least three times as deep as your largest crab. Too much calcium sand can turn into cement when it gets wet. If you only have a bit in there, you can likely leave it, but you will want to add play sand and/ or more EE for sure. Also be sure that it is moistened with dechlorinated water so that it is sand castle consistency.

Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
I do have a humidity gauge and thermometer, it usually says 76 degrees-81 degrees F, and the humidity gauge says 75%-85% usually.

Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
I have a heating pad but I don't use it in the summer, it gets really hot in my house.

What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
I have fresh water and salt water, I use zoo meds dechlorinator for salt and fresh. The salt water also has zoo meds salt water mix.
Curly - Be sure to check out the care sheet about water. Unfortunately, the salt water you are using will not provide all the minerals that crabs need.

viewtopic.php?f=127&t=92553

What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
I feed my hermit crabs blood worms,hermit crab pellets, fruits(Non citrus) and vegetables. I change the food every other day, same with the water bowls.
Curly - Be sure to read through the care sheet on nutrition, as well as the page about commercial foods. Most commercial pellets contain harmful additives and preservatives. Crabs need a varied diet that includes protein and calcium daily.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92554

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92555

How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
I have had Salty for about a year, and he is a Purple Pincher male. I have had Pina Colada for two days and she is a Purple Pincher female.

Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
Both hermit crabs have not molted while I have had them.
Curly - A crab should have molted within the year. Perhaps your sub being improved will give him the conditions he needs to molt.

What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
They are kept in a ten gallon tank, and the lid is mesh, but I put tinfoil over most of it because it doesn't stay humid without it.

How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
Two crabs are in the tank, Salty is about an inch and half and Pina Colada is about the same but a bit smaller.

How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
I have about five in the tank.
Curly - HCA recommends 3-5 extra shells per crab. Be sure to check the 'shells' care sheet for the appropriate type of shells to buy.

Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No.

How often do you clean the tank and how?
I usually just clean all of the decoration and shells and wipe the walls about once every two months. I haven't cleaned the substrate except for picking up the random food and poop.

Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
I have a sea sponge in each water dish and is usually rinse the dirt off of them with the sink.
Curly - Sponges just harbor bacteria in the water. You can put them in dry for the crabs to munch on, but remove them from the water, they are not needed. Your pools/ dishes should be deep enough for the crabs to submerge, but also have a way to climb out. Many people use Rubbermaid type containers, with craft mesh.

Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
I have been working on a cocnut hut DIY thingy, and the shell Salty recently changed into, and some ropes, and a tiny tree, and some vines.

Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? I never bathe my crabs or play with them. I only just bathed them today when I found the mites. I had fruit flys in my tank but they are gone now.

Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
I put that information at the top of the tank but here it is again:

Curly - Did you read through the 'mites' sheet?

viewtopic.php?f=124&t=92530
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:29 pm

CrabyLove wrote:Oh thats amazing! Thank you so much.

So Red Velvet mites do nothing to hermit crabs and I don't have to clean the tank or anything? Also the mites I saw in Salty's shell were VERY small, and some pictures on google show that some red velvet mites are not extremely small.

I was SO worried about Salty and Pina Colada. But now I am fine, thank you so much again.
I don’t know how small you’re talking, but typically the only time you need to worry about mites is if they’re clinging to the crabs’ eyes, antennae, mouthparts, or joints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk