Crabs taking shells what can i do??

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Grey

Crabs taking shells what can i do??

Post by Grey » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:28 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

Sand and 4 inches i know i need more

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

not yet

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

my house is kept warm and i don’t have one yet

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

fresh and salt i don’t treat it

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

every 2-3 days, fruits and veggies that i can get and when i don’t have that this food from the brand fuller but i forget what it’s called

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

6 months for one and a year for the other

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

yes i forget how long ago

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

a ten gallon tank for now with a lid that was used for a fish tank

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

3, one is one the small side and the other 2 are a bit more medium i don’t know exactly

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

3 i’ve been meaning to get more

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

no

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

i haven’t yet

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

yes but i removed them recently

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

no

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

one of the crabs has been inter the sand recently

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

i noticed that one of my crabs was kicked out of its shell by the other one and i only have 2 shells that aren’t in use that might fit it but it’s sitting there without a shell and i don’t know what i should do

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Crabs taking shells what can i do??

Post by curlysister » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:22 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

Sand and 4 inches i know i need more
Curly - Yes, the sub needs to be at least three times as deep as your largest crab. Be sure it is moistened with dechlorinated water so that it holds it's shape (sand castle consistency).

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

not yet
Curly - You need to get both. It is imperative to know the temp and humidity. Hermit crabs require humidity around 80% in order to breathe properly.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

my house is kept warm and i don’t have one yet
Curly - Once you have the thermometer, you will know if you need a heat source. Crabs should be kept warmer than most of our houses are, around 80 degrees.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

fresh and salt i don’t treat it
Curly - Read through the 'water' care sheet, it tells you everything you need to know about water. Fresh water can be tap water, treated with a dechlorinator such as Prime. And crabs need marine salt water, most bottled salt water for crabs is not appropriate. Instant Ocean is a popular brand of marine salt, you buy it dry and mix it into dechlorinated water.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

every 2-3 days, fruits and veggies that i can get and when i don’t have that this food from the brand fuller but i forget what it’s called
Curly - Be sure to read through the 'food and nutrition' care sheets. Crabs need a varied diet, including calcium and protein daily. Most commercial foods (ie - pellets) contain additives and preservatives that can be harmful.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

6 months for one and a year for the other

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

yes i forget how long ago

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

a ten gallon tank for now with a lid that was used for a fish tank
Curly - With three crabs, two medium sized, you will probably need to upgrade to a larger tank soon.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

3, one is one the small side and the other 2 are a bit more medium i don’t know exactly

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

3 i’ve been meaning to get more
Curly - HCA recommends 3 to 5 extra shells per crab. Be sure to read the 'shells' care sheet so you know that you are offering appropriate shells.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

no

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

i haven’t yet

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

yes but i removed them recently

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

no

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

one of the crabs has been inter the sand recently

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

i noticed that one of my crabs was kicked out of its shell by the other one and i only have 2 shells that aren’t in use that might fit it but it’s sitting there without a shell and i don’t know what i should do
Curly - There is a care sheet that tells you what to do for a naked crab. A crab will die without a shell. Crabs will drop their shells when they are too weak to carry them, but it could be that the poor guy doesn't have any good shells to choose from (both the shell jacker and the shell jacked). You will definitely need to get more shells ASAP.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

CrabbyLover77

Re: Crabs taking shells what can i do??

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:28 pm

Here's a link to the care sheet Curly mentioned. It will tell you what to do for a naked crab:

viewtopic.php?t=122302

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav