New guy lost both pinchers...

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:06 pm

. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? —5” deep, 5:1 ratio playsand/coconut substrate

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? —have both a therm (75-77) & hygro (80-90%), located half between top of substrate and lid

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? —2 small heat pads, attached to the back and side to create a warmer corner

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? —Question about this! HAD both freshwater (dechlorinated) bowl with sponge and saltwater pool with shells...BUT my latest 2 additions (I’m a brand new hermit crab owner) came from beach shop and lady told me saltwater will kill them...and not to even put real beach shells in there either because of it! She said it was because they were farm-raised. So I took out my shells and the saltwater pool...but that just doesn’t seem right. ???

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? —came home with beach shop food not knowing any better, but learning about other options, tried coconut and more recently peanut butter and honey...what I had available at the house. Change food every few days.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? —Have 3 total, believe all 3 Caribbean PP. First one, medium, bought Sept 24...next 2, small, bought Oct 9. My concern is with one of the small ones.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?—not since I’ve had them

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? —10 gallon (wanting bigger) glass with metal mesh lid (didn’t know any better when bought)...so it’s wrapped in Saran Wrap, seems to work

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? —3 total, 1 med and 2 small

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? —They each have 3, different sizes

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? —no

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? —haven’t cleaned cleaned one yet...I’ve switched crabitats twice and only had them a couple weeks now. Cleaned my most recent before setting it up with warm water and a little Mrs. Meyer soap. Rinsed well.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? —yes, change them out every few days and rinse with dechlorinated water, left to air dry

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? —depending how recent, kinda everything...I kept making adjustments and changing things as I read more and also switched tanks when I got the other 2

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?—not sure how to bath, but would love to know! And I don’t really mess with them much, move them from time to time to see if ok or recently to put over a food or water dish...but mainly just watch them (a lot).

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

One of my recent additions, a small guy, we’ve named Peg Leg has now lost both his pinchers. Lost his small one my first night with him while he was still in his little carrier case (I had to travel to get him)...and then the big pincher 2 days ago. This was just a few days apart. In between losing pinchers he was in the main tank hiding in his hut, not eating or drinking that I could tell and I had even given him his own little bowls right outside his hut. It’s when I lifted hut to check on him that I saw the big pincher. So sad. Isolated him in a smaller glass tank with similar set up as main tank. He has freshwater with sponge and I took out the store bought food and put in q-tips with honey, peanut butter and coconut with powdered calcium. I’ve seen him drink some and sat him right on top of one of the q-tips (not sure how he’ll eat without either pincher), but can’t tell he ate anything and he wasn’t there long...back to the hut again. I don’t want him to die...or suffer. I can try to hand feed him, but he won’t come out for me. How can I nurse him back to health and happy?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New guy lost both pinchers...

Post by JoeHermits » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:23 pm

His best bet is to molt and regrow his claws. There’s a good chance he’ll force himself to do it, but in the meantime keep trying to feed him so he has enough energy to survive the process.

As for the saltwater, it won’t harm them, and neither will shells. The shells being farm-raised won’t affect that, and honestly many of the fancier turbo shells we like are leftover from farms, anyways.

jonathon1989

Post by jonathon1989 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:43 am

Joe Hermits is right. Your crab's best bet is too molt and regrow his limbs. So, keep hand feeding him until he can feed himself.

And don't worry, hermit crabs don't have any teeth. Just fuzzy mouthparts. Also, make sure he has plenty of hiding places. This will reduce further stress.

Jonathon

Topic author
crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:02 am

JoeHermits wrote:His best bet is to molt and regrow his claws. There’s a good chance he’ll force himself to do it, but in the meantime keep trying to feed him so he has enough energy to survive the process.

As for the saltwater, it won’t harm them, and neither will shells. The shells being farm-raised won’t affect that, and honestly many of the fancier turbo shells we like are leftover from farms, anyways.

Thank you! I will continue to try to hand feed, but was concerned about handling him too much while he’s stressed...plus he is scared and won’t come out for me to try to hand feed him. Hoping he picks up on the Q-tips with food and eats from that.

Also, I meant the crabs themselves were farm-raised...this is just what the lady at the beach shop told me and scared the crap out of me saying saltwater would kill them! You think I should add saltwater pool back to tank then?

Topic author
crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:05 am

jonathon1989 wrote:Joe Hermits is right. Your crab's best bet is too molt and regrow his limbs. So, keep hand feeding him until he can feed himself.

And don't worry, hermit crabs don't have any teeth. Just fuzzy mouthparts. Also, make sure he has plenty of hiding places. This will reduce further stress.

Jonathon
Thank you! I’ll add another hideout just in case he wants more options (have 2 in iso tank now). Want to hand feed, but didn’t want to handle too much and cause mire stress, plus he won’t come out for me to do so. Think the Q-tip thing should work? He can easily get on top of each of them...

So worried bout him.

jonathon1989

Post by jonathon1989 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:18 am

I wouldnt use a Q Tip becuase of the fibers. I reccemend hand feeding.

Topic author
crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:31 am

jonathon1989 wrote:I wouldnt use a Q Tip becuase of the fibers. I reccemend hand feeding.

Well I went to go try to hand feed him and when I lifted his hut, he didn’t move and has now lost 2 more legs. Picked him up and blew on him with no movement. Only see 1 leg left. Put him on the sponge to see what he’ll do and there has been no movement. I would say there is a very slight fishy odor. Have I lost him? ))):

Wait, he just moved (barely, but for sure) as I was typing! How do I hand feed him when I can’t get him to come out even when I blow on him a little? Poor little thing, don’t want him to suffer...

jonathon1989

Post by jonathon1989 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:35 am

Sounds like he has PPS. POST PURCHASE SYNDROME. Dropping limbs is a last ditch effort to live but it can be possible. Try soaking him in saltwater. This might revive him so you can feed him. Let me know what happens. We are here for you. I understand this is very upsetting. I saw a crab in the store yesterday who was almost lifeless and when the associate put him in the saltwater he became active.

Topic author
crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:39 am

jonathon1989 wrote:Sounds like he has PPS. POST PURCHASE SYNDROME. Dropping limbs is a last ditch effort to live but it can be possible. Try soaking him in saltwater. This might revive him so you can feed him. Let me know what happens. We are here for you. I understand this is very upsetting. I saw a crab in the store yesterday who was almost lifeless and when the associate put him in the saltwater he became active.

I will gladly try… This is one of the little guys where the lady I bought him from told me saltwater would kill him though (she said bc he was farm-raised). Guess it can’t hurt at this point… Going to try now and I will keep you posted. Thank you for your kind words, it’s very upsetting. Poor lil guy...

jonathon1989

Post by jonathon1989 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:42 am

Saltwater is crucial for survival. They need it in addition to fresh water. Also, all hermit crabs are harvested in the wild. Breeding has only recently been successful but there are no hermit crabs that are “farmed."
This is the saltwater mix I use.Image

Last edited by jonathon1989 on Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

jonathon1989

Post by jonathon1989 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:45 am

This also may help you. HCA PPS Guide: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=92531

Topic author
crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:17 am

jonathon1989 wrote:This also may help you. HCA PPS Guide: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=92531
Read that one already...figured that’s what it was, just wanted to save him from it. You’ll be happy to know that I put him in salt water and he immediately came out… He kind of laid on his side so I picked him up and finally got him to eat off the end of a toothpick! He is now just kind of half hanging out of his shell holding on to the end of the toothpick with his little mouth thingies, I think. Giving him peanut butter, honey and powdered calcium for hermit crabs. Thank you so so much for the suggestion of putting him in the salt water as it seemed to do the trick for now. Any idea how much food to give him at one time and how many times a day? Should I also put him in the salt water to soak for a while? Should I do the same thing with freshwater? Since he only has one leg left will I need to be sure the water is shallow? Also how long should I leave him in there? I am so sorry for all the questions But I desperately want to save him. If you have any other resources for other links that can help that would be wonderful too… I hate to put the life of my crab in my questions all on you. I have already read one article we are inexperienced crab owner saved her her me when he had no legs at all. I may be new at this but I really want to figure it out and help him!

jonathon1989

Post by jonathon1989 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:27 am

crabbycasey wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:17 am
Read that one already...figured that’s what it was, just wanted to save him from it. You’ll be happy to know that I put him in salt water and he immediately came out… He kind of laid on his side so I picked him up and finally got him to eat off the end of a toothpick! He is now just kind of half hanging out of his shell holding on to the end of the toothpick with his little mouth thingies, I think. Giving him peanut butter, honey and powdered calcium for hermit crabs. Thank you so so much for the suggestion of putting him in the salt water as it seemed to do the trick for now. Any idea how much food to give him at one time and how many times a day? Should I also put him in the salt water to soak for a while? Should I do the same thing with freshwater? Since he only has one leg left will I need to be sure the water is shallow? Also how long should I leave him in there? I am so sorry for all the questions But I desperately want to save him. If you have any other resources for other links that can help that would be wonderful too… I hate to put the life of my crab in my questions all on you. I have already read one article we are inexperienced crab owner saved her her me when he had no legs at all. I may be new at this but I really want to figure it out and help him!

That is great news!!!! For the food schedule and saltwater I am not sure but we will find out for you and get back to you asap. And don't be sorry about the questions. Thats why we are here. We want to help save him too. A lot of us here have been in emergency situations and needed help.

This also may be of help. HCA Nutrition Guide: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92554

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:16 pm

Feeding him once a day will suffice. You only need to offer as much as he’ll eat, which isn’t a lot.

As for the bathing schedule, you’ll have to play it by ear, but he likely won’t need to be bathed regularly.

Editing now to add that all hermit crabs are wild-caught. There are no commercial breeding facilities.

Topic author
crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:42 am

Thankful I have you guys! Blacked out his hut last night to encourage molting...checked on him this morning and he’s still with us. Seems weak/limp...and a little wet. Tried to stimulate him by sitting him in saltwater (worked well last time), but he didn’t move. Put him back in his hut and blacked it out again. Not sure if this is the best thing to do or not. Does he need to to see daylight? Thinking I’ll try to feed him again midday...? What will it look like if/when he starts the molting process? Thank you so much! Staying hopeful