Escaped Hermit Info. Gathered from other Posts.

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
OIF_VET

Escaped Hermit Info. Gathered from other Posts.

Post by OIF_VET » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:06 pm

I compiled this from a thread And from Previous threads of Similar Topics.

I have Seen this Question alot! And I have seen Some Very good Replies.
The Question or Statement is
"Does anyone have any tips on catching a lose crab?
Somehow one of the crabs broke loose out of the top of the habitat and has gone MIA." (Quoted from LisaValdes)

Some Very good Suggestions here from Jedediah, Quistgard and Layne_D

Put a peice of tin foil down, and then put something that they LOVE to eat in the middle of it, and then just wait.
Or go looking in dark, quiet corners of the house that they would feel most comfortable in. (Quistgard)

I would Suggest Tuna, Peanut Butter or Honey. Anything Smelly that Might attract the Hermit. Silversides, if you have this available.

Put wet rags in a dish in every room to that the crabs will have a place to go and hide, you might find it here in the morning.
This works well with frogs and I think crabs will search for humid places, too. (Jedediah)

I have also seen replies Stating That Crabs will Seek out the More humid rooms in the House.
1 being the Bathroom and 2 the Kitchen.
I have also Heard of Crabs Being found on their way down to the Basement.
And another that was found in the Trash. (Crab Crawled in)

Also check other sources of water that hermie may be drawn to and little knooks and crannies. (Layne_D)

I hope this will help Future Crabbers in this Situation :)
Last edited by OIF_VET on Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Welcome to the HCA! Advice for the Stressed, Owners and Crabs alike.
Been Crabby Since 8/16/05 Land, Marine Hermit Crabs Since Summer '04
Currently Have 4 PPs. I have Countless Successful Molts!
MY "Lil Dudes"

Zealous Euphemism
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Zealous Euphemism » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:31 pm

Very helpful!
If I could just add something:

If you lose the crab in a messy room, cleaning it will help...but be EXTREMELY careful in picking up, as they can and will hide themselves inside clothes- My Firenze (ought to rename him Houdini) had a very near miss last year, when my mom found him in the laundry hamper (prompted me to upgrade to a 30-gal)
~*~I should have been a pair of ragged claws, scuttling across the floors of silent seas~*~

Christa

Post by Christa » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:03 am

I have had more success with looking for a lost crab than I have had with trying to lure it out.

When you look, get down on the floor and try to see things from a crab's point of view. They head for dark places first, so check under all furniture, beds, piles of clothing, appliances, shelving, bookcases, etc. I have found many crabs under beds and sofas. :) Also look on things that are climbable, like curtains and upholstered surfaces. Once I found a "lost" crab that had climbed the curtains! You can see the venetian blinds behind him.

Here is a jumbo escapee:

Here are the links if you don't see the pictures
http://www.hermit-crabs.com/images/hangingaround.jpg
http://www.hermit-crabs.com/images/escapee.jpg

If that doesn't work, buy a kitten. [smilie=joke.gif]
Kittens pounce on anything that moves!

Best of luck to you!
Christa
~~ The HCA ~~ the original and still the best -- ACCEPT NO IMITATIONS
Ting-Tang (Walla walla bing bang!)
Crabbing since 1974
http://www.hermit-crabs.com

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:36 am

Hehehe...Christa, the thing about the kitten is so funny! It is very true though...a kitten would find the missing crab in no time :lol:

blaze88

hi

Post by blaze88 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:05 pm

If I can add some stuff;

If it is safe for your cage leave the top off and make a book stair case leading into the cage. Your little crabbie will hear his freinds and smell his food. This should make the crab want to climb the stairs and jump inot the cage. Make sure their is nothing hard in front of the area the stairs lead to. (You don't want your little crabbie getting hurt.)

Also if you have small trash cans, extra cages, bowls and other items that you could build a stair case of books to, set those up with some fish, water or peanut butter in them. Again try to soften the fall so your crab will be safe.

Lastly, if you have a live trap, use it. You could also buy one ot two too. The live trap will catch your little crabbie without the danger of falling crabs.

P.S. Place all traps in dark areas and corners. Don't place any food or water in your home that isn't in a trap. The crab may find only one sorce of goodies that isn't in a trap and just mooch off of those.

Just thought these tips might help. ;)

--Blaze
Noctornal animal trapper since 2002. Stupid hamsters and crabs, they just want freedom.
coloradocritterco.com

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:42 pm

do a good check of closits! i found my fray in a closit and behind a couch.
but first check the dangerus plases! if s/he isn't there, BLOK THEM OFF!

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:28 pm

We lost a crab outside (near Philadelphia, PA) in late September. My wife looked like mad for 3 days. We even had a cold, rainy 50 degree day. I was convinced the crab was dead but my wife kept looking. She found them beneath some leaves close to the house. Amazing. He just came up from his first molt with us and hopefully we won't loose him again!

blaze88

hi

Post by blaze88 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:36 am

Ouch, how did your crab manage to get outside?
coloradocritterco.com

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:37 pm

lol Maybe through a doggy door or a open window.

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:01 pm

Crabs are not particularly stealthy, they make a lot of noise when they move around. When the house is completely quiet, you can usually hear the escapee making scratching noises somewhere. I found a little Ecuadorian in my Crock-Pot after he got out while I was refilling his water dishes.

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:22 am

how the heck did he get into your crockpot?

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:35 am

I had cleaned the Crock-Pot after using it and had set it on the floor. I don't know how he got into it, but he couldn't get out of it because of the steep slippery sides of the crock. Silly crabbie caught himself!

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:55 am

my aussie survived a 4 foot drop onto concrete :shock: and went o to spend the rest of the school day in the garage. he was SHAKING when i found him. he is fine now :D

Places

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:44 am

Well, the last time I found my crabs lost was one near my plants; I found my crab climbing on it and the second one was out in the balcony loittering around, with a broken shell. But it was OK, though. The best thing you do is go to the closet o check it out, because I heard that there are reports that crabs love to go to the closet for no reason, and I suspect it was because it is very dark.

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:13 pm

i found an escapee behind a storage box where it was dark.
so if you lose a crab, look in dark places and in little nooks & crannies :lol: