New Class Pet

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!
Post Reply

Topic author
captainb
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:25 am

New Class Pet

Post by captainb » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:34 am

Hello!

Brand new crab owner here. I acquired 2 pp Hermit Crabs from a parent seeking to rehome them. (Her child wanted a more interactive pet.) I had been looking for a class pet (I'm a new teacher) and thought this was a good opportunity and said I'd take them if no other interested parties stepped forward.

I was thinking of my colleague who had 2 hermies in the 'paint can' kind of enclosure and I thought it would be an easy pet. So, adoption day rolls around and I pick up a 10gallon tank with 1.5" substrate, shells and 2 hermies. Not what I was expecting!

My kids found some youtube videos on how to care for hermit crabs, and I found you guys! So, I invested in a mister, hygrometer/thermometer, some cholla wood (unpainted) some salt water hydrate, a UTH, moss and some treats. They really like the river shrimp. The food dish was decimated every time I put some in there.


So, they're growing on me! Glad to have this forum as a resource!
2 PPs

User avatar

piratetoothgir
Posts: 1357
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:08 am
Location: Texas

Re: New Class Pet

Post by piratetoothgir » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:12 pm

Hi :) Congratulations!!
Getting crabs can be really fun and caring for them too. I will just advise that you follow the care sheets on this forum, they help a lot!
Here's the link if you want to peek at it!

PP Guide: http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 51&t=92452
Tank Setup: viewtopic.php?t=92457

I wish you good luck! :)
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

User avatar

jclee
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:24 pm
Location: Northridge, CA

Re: New Class Pet

Post by jclee » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:14 pm

Congratulations! And good work by your children for finding you the YouTube videos. Your crabs are lucky to have you, and you and your students will enjoy them.
120G with 7 hermit crabs, varied ages/sizes, all quite large
2.0 guinea pigs that own my living room
1.0 crested gecko
10G with feeder guppies, blue neocaridina shrimp, and red clawed crab

User avatar

hermitharbor
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:42 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: New Class Pet

Post by hermitharbor » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:40 pm

Congrats! Crabs are a great pet for students to learn about specialized care for animals. They’re like reptiles, where they require specific things just to live and are definitely a good education point :) Welcome!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Follow me on my crab blog! Hermit Harbor

The 6 PPs of The Harbor: Ama (♀), Nora (♀), Neptune (♂), Lir (♂), Allie (♀), Bongo (♂)
The 2 E's of The Fiefdom: Nami (♀), Unnamed (♀)


Topic author
captainb
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:25 am

Re: New Class Pet

Post by captainb » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:35 pm

So...I was going to bring them into the classroom today to let them get settled, but for the past two days I haven't seen one of them. He was out and about on Friday night, but didn't see him at all yesterday or today. Should I risk moving them? It is also very cold today, and that might be why they're gone under.
2 PPs

User avatar

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6393
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: New Class Pet

Post by GotButterflies » Thu May 03, 2018 1:54 pm

Hi! Welcome to the HCA! :)

I wouldn't. Wait until they are up. By moving the tank you can collapse the tunnels or molting cave causing suffocation. Whenever crabs are down, whatever you do, don't dig (unless it is a dire emergency). :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

User avatar

mlakers
Posts: 446
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:12 am
Location: Niagara Falls
Contact:

Re: New Class Pet

Post by mlakers » Thu May 03, 2018 4:54 pm

@captainb if you will message me your school address, I will send a care package for your students and their crabs. When is your last day of school before summer break?

User avatar

Hermias_mom
Posts: 598
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:08 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: New Class Pet

Post by Hermias_mom » Fri May 04, 2018 3:18 pm

Don't know the age of the kids in your class or how tech savy you guys are, but one fun thing some of us have done is to take videos of the crabs at night. Since they're nocturnal, often the most activity is done at night (eating, running on the hamster wheel, shell changing and climbing, getting in the moss pit and such). So if you set up a camera on the crab tank (maybe with a motion sensor?), it can be fun to review the video and see what they did. There's apps and stuff to do this using a cell phone also. I hear that you can use a red light at night so you can see them but not disturb their day/night cycle. Anyway, have fun!!!
4PPs and tons of FUN in a 29 gallon!
Hermia(F), Helena(F), Branch(M), and Tiger (M)
RIP Athena

User avatar

AwesomeHermit
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:19 pm

Re: New Class Pet

Post by AwesomeHermit » Fri May 04, 2018 4:22 pm

Hermias_mom wrote:Don't know the age of the kids in your class or how tech savy you guys are, but one fun thing some of us have done is to take videos of the crabs at night. Since they're nocturnal, often the most activity is done at night (eating, running on the hamster wheel, shell changing and climbing, getting in the moss pit and such). So if you set up a camera on the crab tank (maybe with a motion sensor?), it can be fun to review the video and see what they did. There's apps and stuff to do this using a cell phone also. I hear that you can use a red light at night so you can see them but not disturb their day/night cycle. Anyway, have fun!!!
For this, you could get a Wyze Cam. Wyze cameras have a livestream, time lapse feature, cloud, and a playback feature. It even has a night vision feature so you can view your tank at night.
3 Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Crabbing for over two years!


Topic author
captainb
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:25 am

Re: New Class Pet

Post by captainb » Sat May 05, 2018 4:46 am

AwesomeHermit wrote:
Hermias_mom wrote:Don't know the age of the kids in your class or how tech savy you guys are, but one fun thing some of us have done is to take videos of the crabs at night. Since they're nocturnal, often the most activity is done at night (eating, running on the hamster wheel, shell changing and climbing, getting in the moss pit and such). So if you set up a camera on the crab tank (maybe with a motion sensor?), it can be fun to review the video and see what they did. There's apps and stuff to do this using a cell phone also. I hear that you can use a red light at night so you can see them but not disturb their day/night cycle. Anyway, have fun!!!
For this, you could get a Wyze Cam. Wyze cameras have a livestream, time lapse feature, cloud, and a playback feature. It even has a night vision feature so you can view your tank at night.
This is an awesome idea! I'll have to talk to our tech folks to set it up, and maybe get a donorschoose project going for the camera. Thanks for the idea!
2 PPs


Topic author
captainb
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:25 am

Re: New Class Pet

Post by captainb » Sat May 05, 2018 5:06 am

GotButterflies wrote:Hi! Welcome to the HCA! :)

I wouldn't. Wait until they are up. By moving the tank you can collapse the tunnels or molting cave causing suffocation. Whenever crabs are down, whatever you do, don't dig (unless it is a dire emergency). :)
Thank you! I found such great information here, especially the care and feeding guides.
2 PPs

User avatar

Hermiesguardian
Posts: 2410
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: New Class Pet

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat May 05, 2018 10:55 am

captainb wrote:
AwesomeHermit wrote:
Hermias_mom wrote:Don't know the age of the kids in your class or how tech savy you guys are, but one fun thing some of us have done is to take videos of the crabs at night. Since they're nocturnal, often the most activity is done at night (eating, running on the hamster wheel, shell changing and climbing, getting in the moss pit and such). So if you set up a camera on the crab tank (maybe with a motion sensor?), it can be fun to review the video and see what they did. There's apps and stuff to do this using a cell phone also. I hear that you can use a red light at night so you can see them but not disturb their day/night cycle. Anyway, have fun!!!
For this, you could get a Wyze Cam. Wyze cameras have a livestream, time lapse feature, cloud, and a playback feature. It even has a night vision feature so you can view your tank at night.
This is an awesome idea! I'll have to talk to our tech folks to set it up, and maybe get a donorschoose project going for the camera. Thanks for the idea!
The Wyze Cam only costs about $40. I have one in my tank in addition to a 360 Smart Camera, so I can have more than one angle. I have a 90 gallon tank though. If you do get it, it has to be mounted inside the tank. This picture is how I have it set up. I don't use the sticky pad it comes with. If you can see, I have it sitting on top of an overturned soap dish, with a small flat rock under it to angle it. Image

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

User avatar

AwesomeHermit
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:19 pm

Re: New Class Pet

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sat May 05, 2018 1:06 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
captainb wrote:
Hermias_mom wrote:Don't know the age of the kids in your class or how tech savy you guys are, but one fun thing some of us have done is to take videos of the crabs at night. Since they're nocturnal, often the most activity is done at night (eating, running on the hamster wheel, shell changing and climbing, getting in the moss pit and such). So if you set up a camera on the crab tank (maybe with a motion sensor?), it can be fun to review the video and see what they did. There's apps and stuff to do this using a cell phone also. I hear that you can use a red light at night so you can see them but not disturb their day/night cycle. Anyway, have fun!!!
For this, you could get a Wyze Cam. Wyze cameras have a livestream, time lapse feature, cloud, and a playback feature. It even has a night vision feature so you can view your tank at night.
This is an awesome idea! I'll have to talk to our tech folks to set it up, and maybe get a donorschoose project going for the camera. Thanks for the idea!
The Wyze Cam only costs about $40. I have one in my tank in addition to a 360 Smart Camera, so I can have more than one angle. I have a 90 gallon tank though. If you do get it, it has to be mounted inside the tank. This picture is how I have it set up. I don't use the sticky pad it comes with. If you can see, I have it sitting on top of an overturned soap dish, with a small flat rock under it to angle it. Image

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

The WyzeCam 2 is now only 20 USD
3 Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Crabbing for over two years!


Topic author
captainb
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:25 am

Re: New Class Pet

Post by captainb » Thu May 17, 2018 5:31 pm

Thanks to everyone that suggested the Wyze cam! I now have the 'crabcam' set up at school so I can prove to the kiddos that there's actually a hermie in there, LOL. They love it.
2 PPs

Post Reply