New to the forum & new to hermit crabs

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
fandt94

New to the forum & new to hermit crabs

Post by fandt94 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:10 am

I just wanted to drop in and say hello. We are new to the hermit crab world and are slowly learning. In mid July my son begged for the souvenir ones in the stores and we caved. I didn’t realize the horrible transitions they had to go through prior to us purchasing them (I now consider it rescuing them!). Anyhow we started with 2 and now have 5...should have 6 but sadly one I think didn’t make it due to PPS and our lack of knowledge. It was one of the first pair. Anyways, the climate in the tank seems to be pretty ideal right now but I feel like maybe I overthink it a bit too much so this forum has been a huge help with that. Anyways, hello to all! :D
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

ciaraalston

Re: New to the forum & new to hermit crabs

Post by ciaraalston » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:33 am

Hey there!! Welcome to the HCA! This place is awesome! I bought my first hermit crab from Biloxi and unfortunately it was half a year before i found this site and learned how they're supposed to be cared for.. I'm sorry for your loss, PPS is terrible and sadly many are lost because of it. Good luck and post pictures of your tank if you'd like! :) :)
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

curlysister

Post by curlysister » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:45 am

Hi and welcome! There is a ton of really great info over in the FAQ and Care Sheets section! Most of us got our crab(s) and then found out about proper care afterwards. This site has been a tremendous help to me and many others.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

HHIhermies1004

Post by HHIhermies1004 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:55 am

hello,

I fairly a newbie too and have had my hermits for about a month now. I have found these forums a wealth of info!! I also caved and bough my daughter and son buddies from the beach. We started with 2 and now we're up to 3 and looking to adopt more when i've up graded our tank.

Happy crabbing!
Hi, My name is Kristine
Hermit Crab Family includes 7 Hermies
JACK, BARBOSA, WILL, and DAVY JONES are E's.
3 PP's - Sao Feng, Tia Dama, and Elizabeth swan.