New & Nervous!!

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
kaykmerr

New & Nervous!!

Post by kaykmerr » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:45 pm

I have been super appreciative of all the help I’ve received from this group so far! I wish I would have found this site before getting our crabs- luckily we did a good amount of research so I was pretty well prepared but in the two weeks since bringing the crabs home I’ve learned A LOT on here and made some major adjustments to our 10 gallon crabitat today. Using all eco earth for substrate, at least 6 inches deep. Feeding a variety of fresh foods and changing every day/every other day. Both FW and MSW and Deeper water dishes (with rocks that create a ramp into the water, secured with aquarium safe glue) air pump and air stones going! Also added a hammock with live moss inside of it, cholla wood as a ramp into the hammock, and hideaway house. My main concern is that there isn’t enough “floor space” for them to walk around?

Upon returning them to their tank today they were WAY more active than usual- I couldn’t tell if they were terrified or just checking things out. They are both PPs, one is medium and the other on the smaller medium side. The larger crab was VERY territorial of his chosen hiding place and stretched all of his legs and claws out at the smaller crab- what is that all about?! basically I am terrified of stressing these guys out either with having their crabitat off or them not getting along... does it look okay in there?! Currently, the smaller guy (Hermie) is buried in the moss in the hammock and the bigger one (Herbert... my 7 year old named them Image) is hanging out on top of the hammock

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New & Nervous!!

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:27 pm

Looks like a good setup to me, i think you did an amazing job. As long as theirs no physical aggression, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:47 pm

Unfortunately, there will never seem to be enough room. I have a 90 gallon with 7 crabs. And a 40 gallon with 6. And there just isn't enough room. I would love a 130 gallon or larger. :hlol:
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:49 pm

Wow that's beautiful! i wish i had an eye for design like y'all, my 10 gallon looked horrible. :hlol:
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:57 pm

ciaraalston wrote:Wow that's beautiful! i wish i had an eye for design like y'all, my 10 gallon looked horrible. :hlol:
It looked really nice. The pics make it look like a 29 gallon
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
kaykmerr

Post by kaykmerr » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:21 pm

It’s been 4 days and I don’t think our larger crab, Herbert, has moved from the top of the hammock and Hermie is spending 99% of his (her? my son just assumed they are both boys and I haven’t handled them to confirm) time in the hammock buried in the moss. Can I assume it’s more humid in there than the overall tank reading (getting ideal humidity has been a real struggle)? Do I need to rewet the moss? If so, how often?

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:26 pm

kaykmerr wrote:It’s been 4 days and I don’t think our larger crab, Herbert, has moved from the top of the hammock and Hermie is spending 99% of his (her? my son just assumed they are both boys and I haven’t handled them to confirm) time in the hammock buried in the moss. Can I assume it’s more humid in there than the overall tank reading (getting ideal humidity has been a real struggle)? Do I need to rewet the moss? If so, how often?

I wet my moss pretty regularly to keep it moist. But only 1 crab likes the wet moss. The rest like the dry moss on the ground. They refuse to let me put it in a caddy or in their shell shops. They drag it out and keep it behind their big tree.

To be on the safe side, I'd mist it occasionally if needed. But not enough to flood the tank. If it's dripping wet, that's too much ***in my opinion***
I'd keep it damp just to help boost humidity.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot