New little friend

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
RiNiKy506

New little friend

Post by RiNiKy506 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:18 pm

Again, I couldn’t help myself. Went to pet store to get a new half log and I had to see the hermit crabs. I saw this tiny little guy and he was missing part of his leg, I had to bring him home. He’s a feisty little guy and doesn’t like to be bothered, he sticks his claw out and waves it around at me. It took awhile to get him to come out so I could see if he was male or female, but I just had to know. I now have two males and four females. Should I put him in iso tank with Crabina and watch him for a few days? He came from the same pet store that Crabina did. I know I put Crabina in with the others right away but that’s all I had at the time. Now that I have another tank, is it better to just put them in right away, or watch them? He doesn’t have a name yet.
ImageImageImage

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

Hermiesguardian

Re: New little friend

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:37 pm

He's cute!
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:14 pm

How cute!! Congrats! We also got another little one the other day....or rather my son did lol. His older brother took him without asking me haha....I wasn’t too thrilled but he picked a cute little one & of course I fell instantly in love. :roll: I just did a quick dip in the fresh water pool and let it go....immediately it went to the food and then dug down somewhere.
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:33 pm

Thank you. I put him in the food bowl in with Crabina and he hasn’t moved, he’s probably loving the food. I’m not sure if I should just put him in the big tank with the others or keep him in the small tank.
Last edited by RiNiKy506 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:12 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:Thank you. I put him in the food bowl in with Crabina and he hasn’t moved, he’s probably loving the food. I’m not sure if I should just put him in the big tank with the others or keep him in the small tank.
I don’t see why you couldn’t put him in with the others...as long as he’s acting normally. I forgot why Crabina is by herself?
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:27 pm

fandt94 wrote:
I don’t see why you couldn’t put him in with the others...as long as he’s acting normally. I forgot why Crabina is by herself?
I put him in with the others, I put him in the bigger moss pit by himself, I wasn’t really sure where to set him. He ate a pretty good meal while I had him in the small tank. I have no shells that are small enough for him, they’re all a size or two too big. Crabina was down when I moved the others over, I had to leave her. I hope this little guy fits right in and doesn’t go down and drive me crazy like Crabina. We still need a name for him, maybe something Halloween-ish? Any suggestions, please let me know.

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:02 pm

What size shells are you in need of? I have quite a few smaller type shells I can send you for free.

P.s. how did you determine the gender? I don’t handle our crabs but I’m curious to know thanks!

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:07 pm

fandt94 wrote:What size shells are you in need of? I have quite a few smaller type shells I can send you for free.

P.s. how did you determine the gender? I don’t handle our crabs but I’m curious to know thanks!
Thank you so much! That would be awesome! I would definitely pay shipping if you have the right sizes. He’s about 3/8”, so maybe that and up to 1/2”. I have four 1/2” and a lot of 5/8”. For determining gender, I hold them upside down until they come out and stretch down. If they have a little dot on the first segment of their back pair of walking legs, called gonopores, then they are female. The males have nothing there. I hope I worded that ok. Here are some pictures that make it a little easier to see what I mean, I found this picture online.
This is a female:

This is my Bob, a male. Image

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:01 pm

Congrats :) I think I remember reading somewhere that small crabs can change sexes if they decide to :)

In the future, you can always just do a quick dip in the fresh water pool and add to the main crabitat. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:06 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Congrats :) I think I remember reading somewhere that small crabs can change sexes if they decide to :)

In the future, you can always just do a quick dip in the fresh water pool and add to the main crabitat. :)
That is so crazy, I didn’t know that. That’s just one more thing that makes them that more amazing! Thank you for telling me, I’ll be thinking he’s a boy then wonder what happened, if he decided to change.

Was wondering if anyone could help me, or if anyone had any ideas for a name for this little guy, I still need a name for him. He’s missing a part of his leg, we wanted to incorporate that maybe, and that we got him on Halloween. He’s very fiesty and sticks his little claw out and waves it around, he’s so tiny but tough, he doesn’t know how small he is. My oldest said Pirate, my youngest said Creeper, I was thinking maybe “Who” bc he hasn’t had a name for so long. I’ve been trying to look online for real pirate’s names and pirate ship names, I just know there has to be something cool for him but I can’t find it. Everyone here is so creative! Please help. Image

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:27 pm

Just throwing these three names out there!
Crabtain Morgan
Cap'in Claw
Purpleclaw the Gimpy
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:26 am

I don’t know how I missed your post, I love Crabtain Morgan! That’s awesome! I love Crabina’s name bc it has crab in it, I have to make sure the kids approve. Cap’in Claw is awesome too! Thank you!!!

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:00 am

This little guy came back yesterday, I noticed him as I was feeding them last night. He is freshly molted and has the part of his leg back! So I now have lived through a second successful molt and my first leg regeneration. He is soo tiny, he makes Crabina look big! I was starting to worry that he didn’t make it. I scrolled through my wyze cam quick, he spent a lot of time eating worm castings and exo/calcium mix.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:49 am

That's good to hear. Sometimes they take forever and other times they are up in no time. I wonder if part of it has to do with how many repairs they need. Then again when my purples go down they are down more then they are up and they appear to be healthy. When I first got them they had broken legs but they have all been repaired.

What did you name this guy anyway? With the title of this post you I think of the line in Scarface! "Say 'ello to my little friend!" So Clawface could work too!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:47 pm

I still haven’t named the poor little thing! That is so cute, clawface! Now that he’s back, we really have to pick something for him. I was stuck on the pirate thing but now that he’s got all his limbs back, I just want a cool name, I know there’s something I will hear and it’ll be perfect but I just can’t find it. Then I have to get the kids to approve too, lol! He looks completely different than when we got him, I’m glad I took so many pictures of him bc I didn’t get to know him before he molted. I pulled him out and put him in a bowl of freshwater to rinse the molting smell off of him but he was very shy, he only came out for a second and as soon as I went to look he went right back in his shell. I was pretty sure he had his leg back but I really couldn’t tell, so I set him down in view of the camera so I could capture him on recording to make sure. When I first noticed him, I didn’t know what it was. I saw the bottom part of his shell just under a piece of bark and I thought it was a naked crab abdomen. The way it was shaped, a whitish color, I’ve only really seen pictures of a crab abdomen, I thought something happened to one of them. When I moved the piece of bark and saw that it was him, I was relieved and then so excited that it was him.