Getting new crabs today

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Moniris

Getting new crabs today

Post by Moniris » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:16 pm

Hey guys,

So I've got a couple crabs right now but one has been buried (molting) for a couple weeks and the other doesn't come out as much as he used to :( I think he's just lonely because he's got an enormous house - 36 gallon bow front with 5" of sand+EE and a bunch of stuff for him to climb (he almost escaped on the first night!) - and no one to share it with! I read a few things about dipping them in freshwater or something before adding new crabs to a crabitat? I guess I'm just looking for tips on how I should proceed with adding 2-3 crabs to a crabitat lol.

(pictures of Tommy aka Tamatoa for the Awww's) ImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Tamatoa ◆ Possum ◆ Apollo ◆ Racer
Instagram: @home_defense_crabs

Hermiesguardian

Re: Getting new crabs today

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:36 pm

It's a good idea to dip new crabs in freshwater before putting them in the tank. Substrate should be minimum 6" or 3x the height of your largest crab. Whichever is deeper wins.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi