Crab Acting like a goofball

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Moniris

Crab Acting like a goofball

Post by Moniris » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:06 am

Hi so I just got 3 new crabs to accompany the two I already had. I noticed one of them this morning laying on his side (picture attached). I'm assuming he's just being a lazy boy but I thought I'd ask in case!

They all seem to be loving their new home though! Apollo has dug 4 different holes, Rocky (pictured) likes to sleep under the climbing plant and Racer has actually teamed up with Tamatoa, the biggest crab in the tank! :) (also pictured) ImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Tamatoa ◆ Possum ◆ Apollo ◆ Racer
Instagram: @home_defense_crabs

Hermiesguardian

Re: Crab Acting like a goofball

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:05 am

They are goofballs. I noticed you have sponges in your water bowls. Those are old practice. They harbour bacteria. And the water bowls need to be deep enough for the crabs to fully submerge with a safe way to get in and out. It may just be the lighting but the sand looks a little dry. Is it wet enough to hold its shape?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Moniris

Post by Moniris » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:49 pm

Oh no it's definitely drying out, still good enough to hold shape but I had a pretty janky lid on there for a couple weeks. Tough keeping it humid in there right now, gotta manually spray it down 2-3 times a day. I'd dig it all up right now but one of my guys has been under since the day I put him in there. Doesn't smell bad so I'm assuming he's molting. Kinda hoping he comes up soon so I can make life easier on everyone but just gotta wait till then D: Ya I have left the sponges in there since getting them with the KK. I should get bigger bowls then? Any suggestions on what to use? I'm in a 36 gallon bow front (same as this one here) I can provide pictures of the tank space if necessary.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:17 pm

Moniris wrote:Oh no it's definitely drying out, still good enough to hold shape but I had a pretty janky lid on there for a couple weeks. Tough keeping it humid in there right now, gotta manually spray it down 2-3 times a day. I'd dig it all up right now but one of my guys has been under since the day I put him in there. Doesn't smell bad so I'm assuming he's molting. Kinda hoping he comes up soon so I can make life easier on everyone but just gotta wait till then D: Ya I have left the sponges in there since getting them with the KK. I should get bigger bowls then? Any suggestions on what to use? I'm in a 36 gallon bow front (same as this one here) I can provide pictures of the tank space if necessary.
What kind of lid is on there now? You can cover the lid with saran wrap and tape it down. That will help with humidity. They need at least 80% humidity to breath. Too much misting can cause flooding. You can use tupperware containers for pools. Do you have a thermometer/hygrometer? What is the temp?
Please fill out the emergency template (even though there's no emergency) so we can help with any conditions if needed.

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 27&t=46102
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Moniris

Post by Moniris » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:20 pm

I've just got a cardboard cut out to the right shape with a yard stick taped to the back to support it and the ends taped to the light fixture to not allow any undue air to pass through. The light bar that I have is just a bit longer than the tank (that's by design) so that I can hang one end of it off the back to limit heat and humidity escaping and cold air getting in but still allowing for air flow. Pretty soon I'm going to use plexi glass and some kind of rubber sealant as a permanent lid, but that's going to take a weekend's worth of engineering and troubleshooting to get right.

Good idea on the emergency sheet, here's the final results:

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
A: I use play sand from home depot (washed thoroughly) and Eco Earth at a roughly 5:1 ratio and it's just under 5" deep. Once my molter comes up I'm gonna redo it all and make it deeper this go around

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
A: I have a dual Temp & Humidity gauge on the middle right of the tank that consistently reads about 80ish F and because of the scrappy lid I need to spritz about 3 times a day usually and it fluctuates between 50-80 (don't hate me I'm trying to fix it xc)

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
A: Yup, medium heat pad stuck to the back left hand side of the tank

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
A: FW & Salt, I have dechlorinated water in my house that I use and the salt water is currently the bottled variety from the pet store, will be using "Soaking Salt" that you manually mix with water once I run out of the bottled kind, cross that bridge when I get there

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
A: I feed them the crap looking Zoo Med Hermit Crab Food pellets in a bowl then sprinkle some lettuce and apples around the tank for them to look for

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
A: I've owned Tamatoa & Possum for 3ish weeks and Rocky, Apollo & Racer for 2 days, No clue! No Idea how to tell the species!

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
A: Possum is currently molting (hopefully, he's been down for 2 weeks now) the rest of them are above ground, except apollo, he's shy and only comes out at night.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
A: They're kept in a 36 gallon bowfront aquarium 30x15x21. A really crappy cardboard one but I'm doing my best ;-;

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
A: 5 in total, Tommy is large, Apollo is just a bit smaller than him he's in the medium range though, Rocky and Possum are medium, and racer is a small little boy

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
A: 6 but Tommy has already tried 2 of the larger ones before choosing the ones he's in now so the rest definitely won't be using the rest any time soon becasuse they are definitely too big for the rest of them

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
A: Nope they live in my bedroom :)

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
A: I haven't had them long enough for a full deep clean (substrate and all) but I dig around for hoarded food once a week and replace the obvious "scavenge" food every 2 days

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
A: I have sponges from the KK that I got them with in both bowls and I clean them once a week by just rinsing them out under cold water for a minute or so

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
A: Only crabs and the decorations, but I rinsed dunked them in boiling water before adding tghem to the tank (the decorations, not the crabs lol)

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
Not that I can think of, I would really appreciate any input you have on my setup and how I can improve :) I'm still new and I'm really interested in these guys and want to provide them the best care I can.

Attached tank pics for clarification:

Full Tank: Image

Heater: Image

Temp & Humidity Gauge: Image

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:45 pm

Welcome to the HCA! Yep crabs are goofballs for sure. They do all kinds of silly stuff like laying on their side or deciding to hang out or sleep in weird areas.

With that being a 39 gallon tank you may need a larger heating pad depending on how warm or cool you usually keep your room. Although with you living in Arizona heat may not be an issue.

As Hermiesguardian stated a better lid would definitely help you out with humidity. I have a plexiglass top on one side of my tank with a hole cut in the center for an UV light fixture in the center. It's a 22 X 16 X 1/4 piece. Over the course of several months it has started to bow from the weight of the light being in the center. With having a larger area to cover you may want to get a thicker piece of plexiglass (maybe 3/8 thick?) for your top. Also be aware that just about all sealants give off fumes while they cure, the fumes can be fatal to crabs.

Once you get larger water pools you can also add a bubbler system to them for more humidity. Pretty much an air pump, air stone and tubing going into the pools. Some crabs like the moving water.

Hamster wheels are almost always a big hit with crabs. I use the Kaytee Comfort Wheel 5.5". Others use the Kaytee Silent Spinner. It usually takes up to a month for them to figure out there is a wheel then they are off to the races!

You have a lot of real estate you can use on the sides of your tank too. A moss pit would help with humidity too, plus give your crabs another hiding spot. Most of us use shower caddies with suction cups to secure them to the side and either fish net or wood attached so they can climb up to it.

Several things most of us keep on hand for our tank needs are command hooks, small zip ties, and craft mesh. With those items in your arsenal you can build, repair, or secure just about anything for your pinchy friends.

The main thing is to take care of their main needs first, food, water, heat, humidity, hiding areas, and substrate. Once you have all of that worked out you can slowly tweak everything else. From your pictures it looks as if you are off to a great start already, and you came to the right place. I learned a lot on here in a little over a year.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Moniris

Post by Moniris » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:24 pm

Wow that's a lot of information, and a lot of stuff clarified that I've only been getting hints of here and there previously! Thanks a ton! There is a lot I want to do with this and definitely look forward to making my crabs as happy as possible. Thanks for all the help everyone :)

Topic author
Moniris

Not only is he a goofball, he's molting!

Post by Moniris » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:29 pm

SUCCESS! Came home from work today and saw the goofball (rocky) molting. It's actually kind of annoying that he's doing it above ground because it's really dry in there today and I need to mist it but don't want to bother him in his process D: Is it safe to mist the tank while he's out molting, I'm definitely not going to move him but I don't want the other crabs to suffer either.

Hermiesguardian

Re: Not only is he a goofball, he's molting!

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:44 pm

Moniris wrote:SUCCESS! Came home from work today and saw the goofball (rocky) molting. It's actually kind of annoying that he's doing it above ground because it's really dry in there today and I need to mist it but don't want to bother him in his process D: Is it safe to mist the tank while he's out molting, I'm definitely not going to move him but I don't want the other crabs to suffer either.

A surface molt is a sign conditions aren't right. He'll need to be separated or the other crabs may eat him. I've never dealt with this but if you search surface molts on here you'll find out what to do. And I'm sure someone else with more experience will add their advice.

Topic author
Moniris

Post by Moniris » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:40 pm

Oh boy, is it safe to move him while he's molting?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:57 pm

I did quick search for surface molts but did not see a care sheet for it. Only this thread about standard molts.

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 23&t=92527

I would post in the Emergency section about a surface molt. Just to be sure.

I do remember reading someplace on here that you can cut the bottom off of a 2 liter bottle of soda/pop and press that into the substrate around the molter so you do not disturb him. That will basically putt a barrier around Rocky and the other crabs protecting him without moving him. It has been a while since I have read that but I would double check to see if a barrier or moving is the best option.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Moniris

Post by Moniris » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:12 pm

Motörcrab wrote:I did quick search for surface molts but did not see a care sheet for it. Only this thread about standard molts.

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 23&t=92527

I would post in the Emergency section about a surface molt. Just to be sure.

I do remember reading someplace on here that you can cut the bottom off of a 2 liter bottle of soda/pop and press that into the substrate around the molter so you do not disturb him. That will basically putt a barrier around Rocky and the other crabs protecting him without moving him. It has been a while since I have read that but I would double check to see if a barrier or moving is the best option.
Thank you for the assistance, I found the same thing, I didn't have a soda bottle around but I did have an old movie theater souvenir cup so I put some holes in the top of that and pressed that as much around him as I could. I'm going to set an alarm and check on him around the time that I've noticed the other crabs start waking up.