My first moss pit :)

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Moniris

My first moss pit :)

Post by Moniris » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:29 pm

Just wanted to share my new moss pit that I set up last night, this weekend I'll be changing the substrate and adding larger water bowls :) Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Tamatoa ◆ Possum ◆ Apollo ◆ Racer
Instagram: @home_defense_crabs

Hermiesguardian

Re: My first moss pit :)

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:40 pm

Nice! Why are you changing the substrate?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Moniris

Post by Moniris » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:45 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:Nice! Why are you changing the substrate?
Well a few people in my other posts were saying it looked dry and I noticed one of my crabs came up super dirty after a day dug down. The substrate has only been in there for about 3 1/2 weeks but the lid I had on there previously was subpar so I guess that was enough. I've got a new lid on there now and it hasn't dropped below 77% in the last 4 days (currently back up to 78ish with the moss pit), I'm sure the new water+pump will help that too!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Tamatoa ◆ Possum ◆ Apollo ◆ Racer
Instagram: @home_defense_crabs

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:27 pm

You don't have to replace it all - just add some moistened EE and play sand and mix it all together!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers