My First Post!

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
BlookittiePC

My First Post!

Post by BlookittiePC » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:14 pm

Hello everybody! This is my first post here and I'm very happy to be joining the HCA. I've been reading on this forum for over a year, and got my crabs a little over four months ago. I thought this would be a good time to join because my crab Jarvis recently came up from his second molt with me and we did a major tank remodel today. So, without further ado, meet my crabbies!
This is the first picture that we took of the crabbies, back the day I first adopted them: Image Friday's on the left and Jarvis is on the right.
A lot has changed since then, because here's my setup now: Image
This is the bigger of my two, Jarvis: Image
And my smaller but active girl Friday: Image
And of course, I have to add some pictures of my cats. Top is Beanie and bottom is Delia: Image
And because my dad's insisting, here's a picture of the Raspberry Pi Crabitat control system that he set up: Image
Also a nighttime picture that it took of Friday: Image

I'm so happy to join the forum and glad that I can finally contribute to conversations after reading them for so long.
Two amazing PPs: Jarvis, who has been with me since 7/14/18, and NewCrab (still unnamed) since 1/11/21!
And a tortoiseshell kitty: Delia

I'm still pretty new to this and I'm trying to learn all I can!

Hermiesguardian

Re: My First Post!

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:35 pm

Welcome! Great set up. I showed the Rasberry PI to my husband who is 1 semester away from getting his Electrical Engineering degree. He knew exactly what it was and has one laying around somewhere. Lol. Do your crabs nibble on or pinch the sensors in the tank?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
BlookittiePC

Post by BlookittiePC » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:57 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:Welcome! Great set up. I showed the Rasberry PI to my husband who is 1 semester away from getting his Electrical Engineering degree. He knew exactly what it was and has one laying around somewhere. Lol. Do your crabs nibble on or pinch the sensors in the tank?
No, the sensor is hanging from the lid so that they can't get to it. We had the Pi for a while and weren't really using it until my dad embarked on his adventure of automating the whole tank. I don't even have to turn the lights on and off anymore, they do it automatically!
Two amazing PPs: Jarvis, who has been with me since 7/14/18, and NewCrab (still unnamed) since 1/11/21!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:21 pm

BlookittiePC wrote:
Hermiesguardian wrote:Welcome! Great set up. I showed the Rasberry PI to my husband who is 1 semester away from getting his Electrical Engineering degree. He knew exactly what it was and has one laying around somewhere. Lol. Do your crabs nibble on or pinch the sensors in the tank?
No, the sensor is hanging from the lid so that they can't get to it. We had the Pi for a while and weren't really using it until my dad embarked on his adventure of automating the whole tank. I don't even have to turn the lights on and off anymore, they do it automatically!
Very cool!
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
BlookittiePC

Post by BlookittiePC » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:56 pm

Ironically enough, I think I jinxed myself when I said that they couldn't reach the sensors :lol: Today I came home to find Friday climbing the ridge of the tank lid. She made her way to the sensors and climbed around on them for a while. I have a weird setup around the lid rim to keep humidity in using fleece scraps, which ended up being a way for them to climb around the whole tank without touching the ground.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:00 pm

BlookittiePC wrote:Ironically enough, I think I jinxed myself when I said that they couldn't reach the sensors :lol: Today I came home to find Friday climbing the ridge of the tank lid. She made her way to the sensors and climbed around on them for a while. I have a weird setup around the lid rim to keep humidity in using fleece scraps, which ended up being a way for them to climb around the whole tank without touching the ground.
Wow. Lol.

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:42 am

wow! love the set up! cute kitties too :) Welcome to the HCA!!! :clap:
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot