How to introduce new hermit crabs?

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Plasmoc

How to introduce new hermit crabs?

Post by Plasmoc » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:00 pm

Hello! I currently have 3 small hermit crabs (largest is silver dollar size) and am looking at adopting 2 other small hermit crabs from 2 other owners nearby.

1. I know I will need to get a larger tank, I was thinking a 20 gallon tall, would that be ok? Or what do you suggest?

2. How do I introduce them? I thought I could put the 2 new guys in an iso tank and let them adjust for a bit then introduce them to the other 3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Plasmoc

Re: How to introduce new hermit crabs?

Post by Plasmoc » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:07 pm

Also, is a reptile tank that can open in the front a good or stupid idea? It’d make it easier to clean up food & change the water etc, but I’m not sure how that would affect moisture having doors?

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:40 pm

Plasmoc wrote:Hello! I currently have 3 small hermit crabs (largest is silver dollar size) and am looking at adopting 2 other small hermit crabs from 2 other owners nearby.

1. I know I will need to get a larger tank, I was thinking a 20 gallon tall, would that be ok? Or what do you suggest?

2. How do I introduce them? I thought I could put the 2 new guys in an iso tank and let them adjust for a bit then introduce them to the other 3?

Go as big as you can on the tank. Don't forget, they grow. Quickly dip the new guys in the freshwater pool of the tank and just put them in. Dipping them helps them smell the same.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:50 pm

Plasmoc wrote:Also, is a reptile tank that can open in the front a good or stupid idea? It’d make it easier to clean up food & change the water etc, but I’m not sure how that would affect moisture having doors?

You can put plexiglass in place to keep the substrate in. Depending on your setup, ventilated doors may reduce humidity a little bit.

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:28 pm

I was thinking of isolating the new two for a week or two to see how they do together. One also had a tank-mate due recently so I wanted to make sure he’s healthy before adding him in with my 3.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:49 pm

Plasmoc wrote:I was thinking of isolating the new two for a week or two to see how they do together. One also had a tank-mate due recently so I wanted to make sure he’s healthy before adding him in with my 3.

I think some people do iso for a few days beforehand. Making sure there are no mites. I'm just thinking that the new ones will be stressed moving, then stressed again so soon after, moving again. I'm sure others will give more advice.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:14 am

Bump? Want a bit more advice about if iso is a good or bad idea before I arrange to pick up the little guy.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:44 pm

Only iso if you are prepared to have them molt there. I always think it's a great idea if the crabs are coming from bad conditions. They can be food and shell aggressive at first, and they need a completely undisturbed molt. This only works if you can maintain two tanks for a few months until they come back up though! Otherwise bathe all above ground crabs to lessen the chance of fights, and make sure the new guys get a chance at new shells and some good food for a few hours before they go in.

As far as tank size, depending on how fast they grow a 20 tall won't offer much molting space. I'd try for at least a 29, which is like a 20 long with extra height. A 30 will have a better footprint at three feet long but are harder to find. A 40 will keep them happy for years and years.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:12 pm

Ok thanks so much. I’d rather he not molt in another tank as I’m moving in about s month and don’t want to move 2 tanks if he’s not up yet.

When you say bathe all hermit crabs do you just mean a dip in their treated water? Or the saltwater?

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:14 pm

Plasmoc wrote:Ok thanks so much. I’d rather he not molt in another tank as I’m moving in about s month and don’t want to move 2 tanks if he’s not up yet.

When you say bathe all hermit crabs do you just mean a dip in their treated water? Or the saltwater?

Both waters should be dechlorinated. A quick dip in the freshwater for new crabs.

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:38 pm

Yep, I dechlorinate both waters. Thanks, the hermit crab should be well cared for, I’m adopting him from another member of this board :)

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:16 pm

Plasmoc wrote:Yep, I dechlorinate both waters. Thanks, the hermit crab should be well cared for, I’m adopting him from another member of this board :)

Cool!