Hello! New hermie mom of four!

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
BettaCrew

Hello! New hermie mom of four!

Post by BettaCrew » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:06 am

Hello!

I'm currently using a 250 gallon aquarium that can not be filled with water due to chips on the outer edges. I think I've researched just about every aspect of their care; however, I think I could make changes. I don't mind advice as long as you are nice.

I currently have: a humidifier that keeps the humidity between 78 and 85 at all times (I'm trying to not go over 80), separate water dishes for the salt water and fresh water (both with dechlorinated water), a food dish (I give three types of food and usually a home grown pansy or viola flower - I don't use pesticides), an under the tank heater (which I think I should not have placed under the substrate after further reading- kind of frustrating), aquarium safe fake plants, a hide log, approximately 12 different sized shells including 3 for my big one, two huge pieces of fish store driftwood, a little ceramic house, and a hygrometer/thermometer from p

I know the substrate isn't deep enough yet… I have one hermit crab under the sand and I'm afraid to bother him or her. The temperature also is only staying at 78.8. The under the tank heater is on the right side of the tank under the deepest substrate. I try to keep as much of the equipment hidden as possible as the tank is 1.5ft from my dining room table and living room area.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hello! New hermie mom of four!

Post by JoeHermits » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:55 am

78.8 degrees Fahrenheit is just fine, however you’ll want to move your heater out from under the tank. The amount of substrate we use makes it a fire hazard.

Hermit crabs do fine with 70-99% relative humidity. Going above 80 just increases risk of mold, which is harmless to them.

If you want to add more substrate, you can safely add one inch a day without collapsing tunnels.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:48 pm

Hi! Welcome! Are those shells the pools? They need to be deep enough for the crabs to fully submerge. And not only is the heater a fire hazard but it will dry out the substrate, which needs to be sandcastle consistancy, but it can cook the crabs when the dig down.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:11 am

If any of us are less than nice when giving advice....it's because we are super jealous of your huge tank! LOL!
As states already, you really do need to move the UTH to the back or side of the tank. The substrate needs to be at least 6 inches deep, or at least 3x as deep as your largest crab, whichever is deeper. Most of us use a 5:1 ratio of playsand (cheap at a hardware store, in 50lb bags) mixed with Eco Earth. It needs to be moist enough to hold it's shape (ie- sandcastle consistency) so when crabs are tunneling underneath, the tunnels and caves don't collapse. You can add up to an inch of substrate per day while crabs are under, just don't pack it down.
Many of us use zip-loc/ rubberbaid type dishes for water bowls, they are deep enough that crabs can fully submerge. Just be sure that they can get out, with rocks or ladder or plastic canvas (some people attach a piece of plastic canvas with zip ties so the crabs can climb it to get safely out).
If you look at the Care Sheets, Guides, and FAQ section, you will find lots of really good info!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
BettaCrew

Post by BettaCrew » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:53 pm

The water dishes have pieces of shells in them so that the little guys can get out of the dishes. Shells for changing are in the front and well away from water. I think the new UTH will go behind the driftwood so that it is hidden but does its job well. I thought the sand/ coco ratio was 50/50.... how do I fix that? Just add sand an inch at a time? I'm staying away from the left side because I have a crab that is likely molting (haven't seen it in a week after it did a lot of digging... it's a bigger one). I can find some bigger water dishes. The right side of ther tank measures at a bit above 6 inches.
Last edited by BettaCrew on Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:40 pm

BettaCrew wrote:The water dishes have pieces of shells in them so that the little guys can get out of the dishes. Shells for changing are in the front and well away from water. I think the new UTH will go behind the driftwood so that it is hidden but does its job well. I thought the sand/ coco ratio was 50/50.... how do I fix that? Just add sand an inch at a time? I'm staying away from the left side because I have a crab that is likely molting (haven't seen it in a week after it did a lot of digging... it's a bigger one). I can find some bigger water dishes.
Yes, you can add more sand an inch at a time. Just don't pack it down. But 50/50 really isn't bad I don't think.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi