Adopted crab from PetSmart

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Adopted crab from PetSmart

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:12 am

I stopped in to PetSmart last night, I’ve been researching to get a baby bearded dragon, of course I had to check out the hermits. Found this guy in an awful broken, cracked in half shell. The girl working at the store said they could let me adopt him, so I got him/her and one more. I put them both in my 10 gallon in isolation until he changes shells, I’m scared the one has no protection bc his shell is so bad and I didn’t want him to be alone so I put the other new one in with it. His shell is split in half and the shell is so badly broken his legs are hanging out. They immediately buried themselves when I put them in the tank, I was hoping he would change shells overnight but he didn’t. I should have took more pictures to show everyone how bad it was, I feel so terrible for this little crabby, I hope he’s ok. If anyone has any advice on how to help him, please share.

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«
Last edited by RiNiKy506 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Motörcrab

Re: Adopted crab from PetSmart

Post by Motörcrab » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:16 am

Poor guy. I would offer lots of proteins and calciums along with some honey along with their regular foods. With them coming from the store it's hard to say when the last time they had any.

Since they have been deprived from digging they will usually dig right away. Sometimes to molt or to destress. It's hard to tell how long they will be down for.

The main thing is to be patient and let them do their own thing. They will still do what they want no matter you do.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:24 pm

I thought the first thing the one with the broken shell would have done is grab a new shell but he/she climbed over one, looked quick, and then started digging right under it. I put in a exo mix, green sand, and color mix from mlakers, lost at sea, fruity flowers, and bee mine from GotButterflies, just to start. I thought they would have changed shells overnight so I could have put them in the main tank but they’re just buried in there somewhere. I’ll just let them do their thing then and move them when I see them back up and changed shells.

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:37 pm

They let you adopt the crab? That's really great! Does that mean you didn't have to buy him/her? I sure hope the little guy makes a full recovery!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.