New Crab Stress

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Crabby Fritos

New Crab Stress

Post by Crabby Fritos » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:15 pm

Hey Everybody!

I am a new Hermie owner and got 3 PPs about 4 weeks ago. Their names are Frito, Cheeto, and Tito (I promise I did not name them!). I just recently signed up an account with the HCA. and are kind of confused about a couple topic that I have seen on these forums and threads. I look forward to responding and posting threads on here and helping out my fellow crabbers :o

1. Where do people get Hermie safe and healthy foods? I have seen things like oats, honey, bananas, mangoes. I+What are the criteria for what is good for them?
This would be 1a. I guess but what meat can I feed them? I don't know if they can eat things like steak, chicken, fish and other over the counter meats? They can eat them unseasoned correct? Is it safe for them to eat it raw?
2. I don't know what thread this goes under. I know I am not crazy but I put a climbing log into the tank for them to climb on. It fell down and they like to hide under it. But they move it around the tank, the entire bark strip! It is easily the length of three of them but they hide under it and in the mornings it has been moved. Is this a sign of stress or something like that?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New Crab Stress

Post by curlysister » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:03 pm

As for food, check out the Food and Water section. Crabs can eat much of what we eat, organic and unprocessed. There are pinned posts for safe food, unsafe food, and the nutrition by Kilimanjaro has the food pyramid:

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... m.php?f=25

Crabs are destructive. Mine regularly trash the tank, knocking things down and moving things all over the place.

Be sure to check out the Care Sheets, Guides, and FAQ section, there is a ton of excellent info there too:

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... m.php?f=51
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

SLEPTAS

Post by SLEPTAS » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:17 am

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0...com%2F ... 2923808601

Here some good food for hermies. And they have free shipping!

SLEPTAS

Post by SLEPTAS » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:20 am

SLEPTAS wrote:https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0...com%2F ... 2923808601

Here some good food for hermies. And they have free shipping!
If the link doesn't work its hugs for hermits on Ebay. You get a whole variety in some packs so you can find what your crabs like

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:18 am

Welcome to the board.

Others habe aready answered most of your questions. The only two that Ill directly answer, is that yes. They can eat raw meats without issue. Their bodies are perfectly capable of digesting raw meats without issues of bacteria or toxins liel we have to. But if you prefer, cooking is also fine.

They will redecorate their tank. Its part of the parcel that comes with having crabs! ;)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Crabby Fritos

Post by Crabby Fritos » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:25 pm

Thank you all so much for the advice! I will definitely look into them.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:32 pm

I just wanted to say Welcome to the HCA! Don't stress about it!! We are here to help!! :) Welcome to the addicting world of crabbing!! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com