Local Library

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

Local Library

Post by ErikRasmussen » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:58 pm

A few weeks ago I noticed my local library had a 10g hermit crab tank. It wasn't as bad as the pet shop set ups, I could tell they were trying their best and was stoked they have them.

They wanted to have the crabs healthy and active and I told them I could help. I donated some of my old stuff, hooked em up with prime and instant ocean, deeper pools, plexiglass cover, moved the heating pad etc etc. Took care of most everything and let them design the layout. Then I refered them here and printed out the safe and unsafe food list for them. Wish I had gotten before pictures but here is the after pictures. ImageImageImage

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

RiNiKy506

Re: Local Library

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:14 pm

That’s so cool! Very nice of you to help them out.

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:24 am

I think you did a wonderful job in helping them out! The tank looks bomb!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Crabs || Fish || Shrimp || Snails || Plants || Insects

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:51 am

This is so awesome!!! You're awesome for doing all of it!!

JoeHermits

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:07 am

That’s amazing! Good on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:03 pm

Thanks guys :) the one librarian I worked with got the rest excited because the crabs are active. Switching shells, climbing, etc and kids know their names now.

She did accidentally flood the tank a little bit but we took the cover off. Since it's a 10g and in Utah it will be fixed in a week lol

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:42 pm

whoa looks awesome! this is a pretty cool thing for a library to do as its not only a good teaching tool for the kids but it should be informative to parents as well about what's necessary to care for hermit crabs. i wonder, are there any books on hermit crab care nearby? maybe you can make a little sheet to keep near the tank and educate folks about their care requirements?