New Here! 4 PPs, previous gift shop crab owner

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Bates9118

New Here! 4 PPs, previous gift shop crab owner

Post by Bates9118 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:45 pm

Hi Everyone! I have 4 PP crabs that I just bought last week! Before that, I had been pet hunting for months. I finally settled on replacing a childhood favorite: the painted shell hermit crab.

I started looking at PETCO, then mom & pop shops (much better!), watched a ton of videos on YouTube and did a bunch of research here. I was HORRIFIED when I realized how badly I had treated my little gift shop hermies when I was a kid- I just had no idea. They had been kept on gravel in a tiny, unheated plastic cage with no heat, no saltwater. PAINTED SHELLS. No wonder they didn’t live very long. Trust me- I feel terrible.

I ended up buying two large PPs from petco (one with a painted shell... I know it supports the industry, but I wanted to save him! So far I’ve offered a ton of natural shells and he hasn’t switched yet) and then two jumbo PPs from a mom & pop shop. The difference in their personalities is staggering. The PETCO crabs are so terrified of everything, constantly digging, hiding, sleeping, while the mom&pop crabs are as happy as can be, and super active. This whole experience has totally turned me against PETCO, and now I’m making sure to give all my business to the small shops. Something just isn’t right about their animal care (at least in my neck of the woods) and I feel awful about it.

Anyyyyways, that’s my story and I just wanted to say hi! Glad to be here :)
Jimmy, Jimmy, Ghost and October

Topic author
Bates9118

Re: New Here! 4 PPs, previous gift shop crab owner

Post by Bates9118 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:53 pm

This is Ghost 👻
Jimmy, Jimmy, Ghost and October

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:03 pm

Welcome! Boy he's big!
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:02 pm

Welcome
I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:28 am

Oh wow! Big boy(?) is beautiful!! I want a big guy like that. They’ll get there eventually... so cool! Congrats, and great job researching before you got them- you’re doing better than many of us when we started out. Congrats on the new ones, and enjoy!

Dave the Wondercrab~Patpat the Scaredy Cat~MaggieMoo-Dumbo~Billy

purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:11 am

you are awesome. you did the right thing.
I love my little Acorn! #besthermitcrabever
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,
and my favorite color is gold! (I like shiny things)

I am also a Die hard Lego fan!

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:01 pm

welcome! don't feel bad about childhood crab torture; many of us are guilty of the same thing. as a child its not YOUR job to make sure pets are being taken care of properly!

i have been into fish, reptiles and exotic pets for a long time and the amount of misinformation and innapropriate/dangerous pet supplies sold at big box pet stores is truly enraging. good instincts on doing your own homework btw. welcome to the crab life, prepare to become totally obsessed with a pet that your friends probably wont understand! ;)

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:01 pm

ps wed love to see your tank

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:11 pm

Hello! Welcome to the HCA! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com