Hello! New crab owner here

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
bns109

Hello! New crab owner here

Post by bns109 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:07 am

Hello! So a few questions because im a panicky pet mom... we got 3 crabs about 3 weeks ago with a 10gallon tank and all of the recommended care items. One crab passed, which I wasn't surprised. Since we've gotten a new one. It dug a hole the first night and hasn't been back up since about 2 days after it dug the hole which was a week ago. I initially could see it, but now im not even sure where it is. A second crab has also dug a hole and has been down for about 2 days. The 3rd is still up and about. The 1 that we've had a little longer im fairly certain is fine, but im worried about the one I haven't seen in a week. It initially pulled a shell over the hole it dug, but I haven't seen any movement in a week so im just worried. This is my first experience with hermit crabs so after reading several of the boards here, i'm assuming molting or destressing, but I really don't know and don't want to go digging anyone up off they should be left alone. Thanks for your help!

Xenocrab

Re: Hello! New crab owner here

Post by Xenocrab » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:15 am

Don't go digging! It could take several weeks or months to destress and/or molt. Be patient and read all the HCA recommends. Read up about all you need to know while your crabs are down. Welcome!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
bns109

Post by bns109 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:18 am

Thank you! That's what I've been doing, but if course I'm a bit of a nervous Nelly.

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:22 am

Crabbies will teach you patience. Make sure you keep the heat and humidity up. There is a lot of information on this site. There are pages on good and bad foods, substrate, how to set up an tank and how to properly heat it. Salt water and fresh water, dechlorinated of course. There is a lot more to know than what people realize. Reach out to members on the different topics on here. Btw, my husband is a member as well and we both live in PA!

Topic author
bns109

Post by bns109 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:26 am

Thank you! I actually did a lot of research before we bought them from here on proper accomodations, so we have both salt and fresh water, a humidity/ temperature gauge, climbing toys, hiding places, and a good substrate. But it doesn't make me any less nervous. This is our test to help teach our boys some pet ownership responsibility. And they're doing a really good job, but i'm the nervous one.

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:30 am

I understand your nervousness! I had a rescue crab go down for 3 months! He came back up healthy, but those were long months for me! They can't communicate with us, so all we can do is try our best. I remind myself that these are all beach animals and it's up to me to try to simulate the beach! You can encourage your kids to build safe toys for the crabs. My husband and I get creative. Cholla wood, zip ties, hamster wheels! That Pet Place in Lancaster is great for finding crabby stuff. And the prices on the eco earth can't be beat!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:16 am

Hello and welcome to the HCA. You will find a lot of information about crabs on here. A lot of previous and current members on here have tweaked their care over the years inorder to give their crabs the best care possible. Xeno had Hermies for years before we found this site. They were all doing good before. After we found the HCA and tweaked their tank/s they have really thrived!

I believe Xenocrab answered your crab behavior questions with burrowing and tank conditions. I think the toughest thing with your boys will be if they want to "play" with the crabs. Hermits are pretty much a hands off pet to watch from a far. Some will tolerate being handled by most will just hide or try and run away.

We found that purchasing a $20 Wyze Cam and a micro SD card for it is a great way to see what they do. With the SD card the cam will record video so you can review what they do at night.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:55 pm

Hermit crabs need lots of time under the sand so they can de-stress I have had my 2 hermit crabs for over 2 months now and they dig and stay buried for a large amount of time during the day (and sometimes the night.) They can go without food for long periods of time so don't worry they aren't starving themselves. Don't dig them up or uncover them they know what they are doing. Give them all the time they need and they will come out when they are ready. Check for movement by paying attention as to where they move around at night or look for missing food. My crabs always seem to wake up at around 11p.m. and go back to sleep at around 7a.m. Hope this was helpful to you and best wishes with your little crabies!!!
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

Topic author
bns109

Post by bns109 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:50 pm

Sad day today... our friend who had buried himself came out today. So we were super excited to see him. He moved to the other side of the cage and hid himself away. We came home tonight and he had moved again but unfortunately he's no longer with us. He's half out of his shell, like he would be if he was standing up, but there are no signs of life. My guys are upset because they think we're doing something wrong. We still have 1 large guy who is buried somewhere and another one who's quite active and still on the surface. Maybe we're not meant to have 3?

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:53 pm

Sorry to hear about your loss. The thing with crabs are he could have suffered the injury months before you got him. They go about like nothing is wrong until after a molt or even several molts. Since molting takes a lot of energy to shed and repair whatever else may be wrong it can just be too much for them. You can do everything right and still have them pass for no reason even if you have had them several months.

Also crabs may seem lifeless but may just be too weak to move. You can try giving him raw honey and bee pollen as an energy booster. The only real sure tell sign is when they start to smell. I would put him in a small Isolation container with some damp paper towels wet with you dechlorinated freshwater wix as bedding.
Here are two links that may be help you out with your little guy.

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 27&t=60048

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 27&t=92531
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities