New crabs home

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
plendyeckart

New crabs home

Post by plendyeckart » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:26 pm

Hi guys,
I'm new to this crab stuff as I apparently was gifted 2 small quarter size pp.
My questions is, I received them in the little plastic tanks you get at gift shops in FL, I put them in my 2 1/2 foot wide by 4 foot glass top coffee table.
I lined the box with plastic and filled it with sand. I have one end with 6" of the play sand and the other end is only about 2 inches deep for the food and water dishes.
its holding the heat and humidity, is this a suitable home for them?

Motörcrab

Re: New crabs home

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:03 pm

What are the sides of the table made out of? If they are wood the crabs will eventually pick at the plastic and the wet sand and high humidity will eventually cause water to leak. Overtime you will end up having a big mess in your living room if the bottom or sides give out. Your sand should also be mixed with dechlorinated water to sandcastle consistency.

It sounds like it could be an awesome set up with a lot of planning but as is I do not think think it would be good. For two small quarter sized crabs you could do a 20 gallon tall tank and would be enough room for them, maybe up to 4 PP's. Depending on how "hardcore" you get into crabbing 2 crabs will lead to 3, then 7 and so on. Before you know it you need to upgrade to a larger tank.
Help Improve Our Resources Section (weblinks)
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 2&t=119315

Once we get more links the directors will update the resources in a few weeks. Thanks!

Topic author
plendyeckart

Post by plendyeckart » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:31 am

Hi, thank you for the reply.
It is wood sides and i used heavy plastic to line it with.
I did also mix the sand with declorinated water.
I have a moss pit and all kinds of things for them to climb on and hide in as well as the fresh pool and salt water pool.
I bought a reptile heating pad that i placed on top of one of the window paines of glass. its reading (which i did calibrate) between 75-79 degrees with 80-83 humidity.
They do not seem very happy. I smoothed the sand around the water and food dishes but they are not eating or using the water dishes.
i have a log of drift wood and that is where they seem to be hiding but not moving much at all.
ive given them something different everyday. fresh shrimp, salmon, scrambled eggs, egg shell, fresh fruit, carrots, lettuce.
I got them last week after making suggestions to a friend of what they should do for them at which time they said just take them.
last saturday is when i got the set up done and put them in that evening.
Also lots of shells (17) for them to cheese from. Nothing!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:27 am

They probably just need time to destress.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi