Hi! Overdue intro here....

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
OvermountainLucy

Hi! Overdue intro here....

Post by OvermountainLucy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:01 pm

Hi! I know I’ve posted a few replies, primarily looking for a crabby friend or two for Dave. I think micro Patrick needs more time to be enough fun for Dave... or something! He just seems like he is lonely still. But. Let me start at the beginning, shall I?

Last August, I went on a trip with my parents and with my kiddos. Every year we go to the beach my youngest has asked for crabs. And their dad said no. Well, Dad wasn’t on this trip!!! LOL We came home with Dave and Hermie. Hermie had a little accident and didn’t make it. Lesson sadly learned for the kids. Broken hearts all around. Of course it took me a few more weeks to really start trying to learn more, and once I did I felt so awful (as we all do) at how little I was ACTUALLY caring for him opposed to how much I thought I was. At any rate....
Upgraded Dave’s habitat early December or so. I’m honestly surprised he made it that far with how little I did give him, but I do know he almost didn’t make it once. That’s when I really learned what I needed to know. Some. I’m still learning. Been lurking for a while. :crabblush:

So, I knew Dave needed a friend. It took me a few weeks to find someone semi-local (2 hr away) who had a similar situation along with a nice new 10 gal tank. Yay! So Patrick came home to us in January. I had him in a little glass container with lid full of moss for the ride home (thanks HCA for the tip!) So far Patrick is very shy, and that’s ok, we let him be shy. But Dave got extremely accustomed to being around us more, we paid him attention (on his terms) and tried to keep him from getting too lonely or bored... so he still comes out to visit about once a week or so. I wouldn’t even do that, but he does have a safe place to do so. It’s a large clear plastic tub lined with some cloth and full of crabbie things. (Food and water too) I moisten it pretty good and put the lid on, and he does his thing for a bit. When he just starts hiding again he goes back home. I know that isn’t specifically recommended to handle them often. But, there’s always the 42 year old jonathon Livingston Crab, and she swears by his walking around! Obviously, she lives in Florida now so the humidity is ok for her but not me etc, and I also know he’s the exception to the rule... if there ever is a real crab rule for these things since they’re all so darn crazy and different! But, I also feel once Dave has a ‘ slightly more social tankmate he will hopefully respond much better to that.

Anyway, bottom line, I’m happy to be here, I’m loving the crabs and learning about them, and welcome any and all advice from the senior members. I’m the newb, and you’re not! :cheer: Thanks for having me!
I am Dave and Patrick’s crabby mom &
Also Cisco the dog and Momo the cat’s Momma

Topic author
OvermountainLucy

Re: Hi! Overdue intro here....

Post by OvermountainLucy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:04 pm

Oh! My whole other reason for the post- can I share video on here? Today we got a camera, a flashlight, and some peanut butter and honey on a q-tip, and tried to video catch his possible sex! I’m not experienced enough for my (admittedly needing improvement) video to tell. I think he really is a boy, which I’m happy about. I’ll share Dave pics soon!
Oh- and Dave molted right after he got in the first upgraded tank, two weeks. His color has been so pretty since then!
I am Dave and Patrick’s crabby mom &
Also Cisco the dog and Momo the cat’s Momma

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:05 pm

Hi! Welcome! The way I post video on here is I put it on youtube then copy the link and paste it here. You can post pics through the app Tapatalk.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:03 am

Nice! Thanks, I’ll see if I can get it shared , perhaps someone else can spot something I can’t- which is super possible! Lol - and thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:39 pm

Welcome to the board!

As for handling the crabs, its very much a personal thing. Even though many members prefer not to handle their crabs, and HCA encourages people with a hands off approach... HCA is also a place that recognises that there's no one right way to do things.

If you do want to handle the crabs, ensure hands are washed - particularly of soaps and oils which may irritate -, consider handling once they've finished their first moult (allows ample time to acclimatise to captivity) and be mindful that our homes may not have the right temperature/humidity for survival, and keep out of tank playtime short if either/both temp and humidity is low.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:45 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:Welcome to the board!

As for handling the crabs, its very much a personal thing. Even though many members prefer not to handle their crabs, and HCA encourages people with a hands off approach... HCA is also a place that recognises that there's no one right way to do things.

If you do want to handle the crabs, ensure hands are washed - particularly of soaps and oils which may irritate -, consider handling once they've finished their first moult (allows ample time to acclimatise to captivity) and be mindful that our homes may not have the right temperature/humidity for survival, and keep out of tank playtime short if either/both temp and humidity is low.
Thanks!! Image
Great things to keep in mind- Dave IS the Wonder Crab after all, so he thinks has to maintain his supercrab status. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk