Almost a crabber!

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
squid

Almost a crabber!

Post by squid » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:43 pm

Hi everyone!
After researching and gathering supplies for 3/4 PPs, I think I’m almost ready to get them next week! I’m really excited and just want to give these crabs the best life I can. I’m pretty sure I’ve got everything covered (after an extensive spreadsheet) but I would really love any advice you have to give

Thank you so much :)

Hermiesguardian

Re: Almost a crabber!

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:15 pm

Welcome! Make sure you read the care sheets. Crabitat conditions. Safe/unsafe food. Food pyramid.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
squid

Post by squid » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:17 pm

Thank you! I just realised I completely forgot to look into the food pyramid! I have calcium sources and a printed food list though. Hopefully everything else is fine, I think I’ve got everything on most checklists and care sheets throughout the web :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:00 pm

There is a TON of info on the web. Tons. Some good, some less than good, some totally wrong of course! This site is- honestly- the only place you will need to go. They’ve been crabbing for a collective 100s of years, and the only successful captive breedings have happened by members on here. If it isn’t already in the care guides, these guys can answer just about anything in the world! Their food pyramid is honestly one of the easier ones to follow and to me does an excellent job covering what you need to know. They’re pretty amazing.
I’m not saying never look anywhere else. Course not! But- if you hear something conflicting somewhere else, I would look into it more and ask if need be. I always take it with a dose of common sense and back check to here. They can always tell you the ‘why’ here too- not why the crabs act so crazy or funny but ‘why’ we as their humans do what we do and how we do it. Pretty cool.
Best of luck with your new crabbies! It sounds like you are well on your way to being a good crabber.

Jamison

Post by Jamison » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:08 pm

Overmountain1 wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:00 pm
There is a TON of info on the web. Tons. Some good, some less than good, some totally wrong of course! This site is- honestly- the only place you will need to go. They’ve been crabbing for a collective 100s of years, and the only successful captive breedings have happened by members on here. If it isn’t already in the care guides, these guys can answer just about anything in the world! Their food pyramid is honestly one of the easier ones to follow and to me does an excellent job covering what you need to know. They’re pretty amazing.
I’m not saying never look anywhere else. Course not! But- if you hear something conflicting somewhere else, I would look into it more and ask if need be. I always take it with a dose of common sense and back check to here. They can always tell you the ‘why’ here too- not why the crabs act so crazy or funny but ‘why’ we as their humans do what we do and how we do it. Pretty cool.
Best of luck with your new crabbies! It sounds like you are well on your way to being a good crabber. Image

Yes I agree with this. If someone can't tell you why you should do something it probably isn't a good idea.
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:35 pm

Jamison wrote: Yes I agree with this. If someone can't tell you why you should do something it probably isn't a good idea.
This. Never be afraid to keep asking questions. If you’re going to do something, you’d better know why.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:19 am

Overmountain1 wrote:They’ve been crabbing for a collective 100s of years, and the only successful captive breedings have happened by members on here.

While what you said is certainly good - and nice - one thing I have to nit pick is that many other groups have had success with captive breedings. This group at best would be a good collective of people that have bred, but there are others out there who haven't joined this board.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Overmountain1

Almost a crabber!

Post by Overmountain1 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:19 am

Fair enough! I didn’t mean to exclude anyone, and I am by no means an expert.

(I had actually meant to add the ‘some of’ in front of that statement, so thank you for pointing that out. I do know the breeding takes so so much time and effort, I definitely don’t mean to take away from anyone who had accomplished this!)

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:33 am

All good.

It's more of a 'dont want to add fuel to the fire' by allowing a slightly misguided statement leading to false rumors. False rumors have the tendency to last forever, and very hard to distinguish at best.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:39 am

Too true, especially anyplace internet! I did actually have the some of- the first time thru and didn’t catch my own deletion during editing. Whoops! I meant what I said tho, that is way too much work to take away from anyone’s successes.
No worries, I’m one that would prefer someone (or multiple someone’s) watch what I say- you never know what may end up coming out of my mouth.
(I jest, but seriously....)