New To The Forum!

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
TheCrabulousRose

New To The Forum!

Post by TheCrabulousRose » Mon May 27, 2019 11:03 am

Hello everyone! My name is Rose, and I am new to the forum and fairly new to keeping crabs! I thought I'd introduce myself here and give a bit of backstory, as well as information on my setup! At the end of this post, I'll post pictures! So strap yourselves in, this is going to be a long introduction!

I got my first crabs from a lovely little shop in Panama City Beach, Florida, way back in September. Up until that point, I'd only been keeping freshwater fish, of which I have many tanks, and I was eager to try something new that could be kept in a tank but lives on land and doesn't have the same live feeding requirements as reptiles. I'd seen hermit crabs in souvenir shops around the beach for many years, and I'd always wanted to keep some, but back then, I had no clue how to care for them. Anyway, I did all my research, went to the beach and picked out my hermit crabs (before I get criticized for getting them from a souvenir shop, I should mention that the pet stores around here rarely have them) from a souvenir store. The souvenir store was actually quite lovely, the staff was half knowledgable about the crabs and the crabs were kept on actual sand with wooden walls, not wire. They also had a very large variety of natural shells to choose from, and each one was less than a dollar. Any type of shell for any size crab, this store was amazing. So I left with three purple pincher hermit crabs in a tote with a hide, a bit of sand to transport them home with, food and water dishes, and yes, extra shells. Within a couple of days of me getting them home, they had a decent setup. It was a 10-gallon tank that consisted of six inches of play sand, a plant, their tiki hut hide, two water dishes (one for freshwater and one for salt), cholla wood (the shop also sold large pieces of natural, not dyed or painted, cholla wood), a food dish, and a few extra shells. Shortly after realizing that the heat was going to be a problem, I got a heat mat and a thermostat for it and attached it to the back of the tank. I also had a humidity gauge so I could spray the habitat down whenever the humidity got too low. The hermit crabs ate a variety of dried fruits and brine shrimp for the most part until I started getting them nuts and seeds as well. This is how they lived throughout the winter, I'll post a picture at the end of this post of this setup.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago, I had bought them a new 20-gallon long tank back in January, but they had been molting and I didn't want to do anything to jeopardize this delicate process. But finally, they were done molting! So I gave them a major upgrade. I mixed play sand with eco-earth, then on one side of the tank, I added extra eco earth to make it have the look of a dirt bank, then I covered it in moss. They ate that moss, so now the bank is covered in sphagnum moss. They also have two larger plastic containers, one is filled with saltwater and the other with fresh water. I then added a large rock cave alongside their tiki hut, to add more places to hide and play. And they have a climbing wall and lots, and lots, and LOTS of wall plants. They still have their cholla wood, as well as pieces of grape wood to climb on and a piece of cuttlebone to munch on. Their old water dishes are now their food dishes, one for meat and one for all other stuff. They have stones in the bottom of their water containers, along with a shell in each one to help them climb out. They also have many more shells, as I get them shells each time I go to the pet store (and I go all the time as I work right across the street from both Petco and Petsmart), so they're always changing shells and dragging them around. I keep most of the shells in the rock cave though, as that's their shell shop! The heat is kept at 80F and the humidity is usually around 80%. As for diet, they have a much larger diet now, as they're fed a large variety of dried fruits, vegetables, and freeze-dried crickets, grasshoppers, mealworms, bloodworms, river shrimp, brine shrimp, along with nuts, seeds, oats, and for a treat, peanut butter, and honey. Now that's out of the way, let me get to the main part, the exciting part! Pictures and hermit crab introductions!

Image This is Superman! He's the smallest of the bunch and the lightest in color. He's a bit shy around humans, but he's still very adventurous!

Image Meet Georgie! Georgie is super feisty, and he was the first one I fell in love with when I was picking out my hermit crabs. Georgie is very active, he enjoys swimming, climbing (he's even climbed upside down along the hood before!), pooping on top of his tiki hut, and eating. If you pick him up, he will try to pinch you. But still, I love the little guy!

Image This is Big Red! As his name suggests, he's the largest of the bunch, but still very friendly! He loves digging down, and if anyone is out and about, it's him. He's not as shy as the others are, and probably the least afraid of me, as he lets me handle him. He does like climbing some, but he's very clumsy and often tumbles down.

Image This was the first setup I had, in my 10-gallon tank. Kind of bland and boring, but I was proud of it at the time!

Image This is my newest and current setup!

Thank you so much if you've made it this far, I want to say that this forum has helped me so much as I've lurked and read countless posts on how to properly care for my little guys. You guys are awesome, and I'm so excited to be a part of this community! :crabbigsmile:

Xenocrab

Re: New To The Forum!

Post by Xenocrab » Mon May 27, 2019 11:10 am

Wow! It looks great! I applaud you for doing your research before getting the crabbies! They look happy! Cute crabbies

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Mon May 27, 2019 11:14 am

Welcome and great setup!
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

Topic author
TheCrabulousRose

Post by TheCrabulousRose » Mon May 27, 2019 11:17 am

Xenocrab wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:10 am
Wow! It looks great! I applaud you for doing your research before getting the crabbies!ImageImageImage They look happy! Cute crabbies ImageImage

Thank you so much! I'm just so grateful for all the knowledge and information that I was able to get from this site and all its helpful members! :D

Topic author
TheCrabulousRose

Post by TheCrabulousRose » Mon May 27, 2019 11:17 am

Oliviet#1 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:14 am
Welcome and great setup!
Thank you! :)

doth

Post by doth » Mon May 27, 2019 11:32 am

cool setup! welcome to the forum. your crabbies are adorable!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Topic author
TheCrabulousRose

Post by TheCrabulousRose » Mon May 27, 2019 11:38 am

doth wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:32 am
cool setup! welcome to the forum. your crabbies are adorable!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Thank you, I'm so excited to be here! :D

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Mon May 27, 2019 11:39 am

Always feel free to ask questions! We all have different ways of doing things, different ideas and there's usually a lot of feedback. We all strive to do the best we can. My husband and I have gotten a lot of great ideas on here.

Topic author
TheCrabulousRose

Post by TheCrabulousRose » Mon May 27, 2019 11:49 am

Xenocrab wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:39 am
Always feel free to ask questions! We all have different ways of doing things, different ideas and there's usually a lot of feedback. We all strive to do the best we can. My husband and I have gotten a lot of great ideas on here.

I probably will, this place has always been my go-to for all of my questions in the past!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon May 27, 2019 1:25 pm

Hello and welcome! I have had my two crabs, Sonny and Cher, for 8 1/2 years now. I get all my info and advice from this site. My first tank (also a 10 gallon) was pretty bland and boring too, kinda similar to yours! Your three crabs are very cute!

I want to ask what you are using for salt and fresh water, and dechlorinator. I don't recognize the bottle in the one photo, that's all.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
TheCrabulousRose

Post by TheCrabulousRose » Mon May 27, 2019 1:58 pm

curlysister wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 1:25 pm
Hello and welcome! I have had my two crabs, Sonny and Cher, for 8 1/2 years now. I get all my info and advice from this site. My first tank (also a 10 gallon) was pretty bland and boring too, kinda similar to yours! Your three crabs are very cute!

I want to ask what you are using for salt and fresh water, and dechlorinator. I don't recognize the bottle in the one photo, that's all.
I should've mentioned what I use, sorry! I had bought that bottle to use until I could get some proper salt. I now use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals Reef Salt (it's higher in calcium than the regular IO sea salt, apparently), and I use bottled spring water for the freshwater and saltwater (except it's mixed with salt for saltwater, of course).

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Mon May 27, 2019 2:14 pm

Just use the dechlorinator in tap water. Spring water is garbage and a waste of money for them. I drink the gallon of spring water and use the jugs to mix my DC & SW in!

Jamison

Post by Jamison » Mon May 27, 2019 8:00 pm

I love the tank! But I am concerned about the shells. I only see a couple, and they aren't the right type.
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Mon May 27, 2019 8:55 pm

Jamison wrote:I love the tank! But I am concerned about the shells. I only see a couple, and they aren't the right type.
There is nothing wrong with any of the shells pictured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
TheCrabulousRose

Post by TheCrabulousRose » Mon May 27, 2019 9:43 pm

Xenocrab wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 2:14 pm
Just use the dechlorinator in tap water. Spring water is garbage and a waste of money for them. I drink the gallon of spring water and use the jugs to mix my DC & SW in!

Just curious, why is spring water garbage? I found on another thread here that it's great for them, and even dechlorinated, I don't really trust my tap water in my area due to some issues I've had with both my other pets and my personal health after prolonged drinking from it. I feel a lot safer purchasing spring water, personally.