New Owner, Advice Welcome!

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
StarKitt3n

Re: New Owner, Advice Welcome!

Post by StarKitt3n » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:03 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:00 am
It sounds like Pete may be suffering from PPS if he has dropped a limb, when they molt they shed their whole exoskeleton. You sound like your off to a great start with them but sometimes they’ve just been through too much before they make it home to us. Offer him some healing foods like bee pollen and raw organic honey to give him an energy boost. Have you looked at any of the care sheets or guides?
As of reading your comment he's lost two limbs now. One being his big claw. A friend of mine who has owned a lot of crabs told me that it could be a number of things, including his age and how long he was in the terrible conditions I found him. So maybe she meant this PPS you're mentioning?

I'm holding out so much hope that it's just a surface molt and that my little one eyed boy will be ok. It just hurts to watch him sit there not moving and making me feel like I've not done enough! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm hoping he's eating at all honestly. I know he ate some strawberry the other day when I set it next to him in the tank, but it wasn't much. I know hermits might not eat much since they're small? But otherwise I'm not sure. I've got some ordered foods coming in on Monday that I got off some of the threads here that I'm hoping maybe will help and I saw the diagram above and what you suggested I might try to give him some but I'm not sure how to get him to eat it. Is putting it down in front of him probably the best option?

Topic author
StarKitt3n

Post by StarKitt3n » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:09 pm

ALSO for anyone curious I can show you the babies!

This is Pete aka One Eyed Pete. This was the day I bought him. I know the rocks are terrible and trust me soon after I went out and bought him some sand to live on until we could get him home. He was super active and wild when we first got him, which was the reason he stood out to me in the shop.

This was Nurple when I first brought them both home. I assure you that since then the sponge has been removed as I saw many posts stating they weren't really good for crabs! This was also before I upgraded their tank so there's not much there but it was the best setup I could do at the time. Better then the travel container they came in right? lol

AAAAAND THIS is Nurple's new shell!
He moved into it instantly as soon as I put a few new shells in the tank, and then went right back to where he'd been buried totally and just nestled in it was so freaking cute!

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:41 am

Yes your friend is right, we call it PPS (post purchase syndrome). Here is a link to more info on it.
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/P ... ndrome.doc
Your little friends are so cute! Everyone started somewhere, what counts is your doing the right thing for them. Image

Topic author
StarKitt3n

Post by StarKitt3n » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:35 am

RiNiKy506 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:41 am
Yes your friend is right, we call it PPS (post purchase syndrome). Here is a link to more info on it.
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/P ... ndrome.doc
Your little friends are so cute! Everyone started somewhere, what counts is your doing the right thing for them. Image
Ty for the info! In a way I think I was doing that? I started by upgrading their travel tank to be more appropriate until we got them home. Then I upgraded to a tank with better substrate but the same decorations and then later updated with better substrate and a few more decorations. All over the course of almost a month.

He didn't start acting like this until just before the substrate upgrade. I hope he'll pull through!

Topic author
StarKitt3n

Post by StarKitt3n » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:43 pm

For anyone that was talking and curious, sadly Pete didn't make it. I took all your advice to heart and tried to provide him with everything he needed to help him out but after he hadn't done anything for several days I decided to check on him and discovered that he was indeed gone.

Lots of crying and sadness later he's hopefully in a better place. I didn't have him long, but I truly loved my little one eyed pirate.

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:20 pm

StarKitt3n wrote:For anyone that was talking and curious, sadly Pete didn't make it. I took all your advice to heart and tried to provide him with everything he needed to help him out but after he hadn't done anything for several days I decided to check on him and discovered that he was indeed gone.

Lots of crying and sadness later he's hopefully in a better place. I didn't have him long, but I truly loved my little one eyed pirate.
Rest in peace little PeteImageImage He'll make lots of friends in little crabby heavenImage

Sent from my LGL158VL using Tapatalk

(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"