I'm a newbie to Hermit Crabs

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Angela.Farris

I'm a newbie to Hermit Crabs

Post by Angela.Farris » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:40 pm

I inherited 3 hermit crabs when my exchange student left for college. I don't know much about them, but am learning through this post/threads. I just don't know why my crabs don't come out at all during the day. I have yet to handle them too much and when they do see me, they scurry away. Does it take a while for them to get used to you?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I'm a newbie to Hermit Crabs

Post by curlysister » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:57 pm

Welcome to crabbing! Hermit crabs are nocturnal creatures, so will be more active at night. They see us as prey, that's why they scurry away. Most of us take a hands-off approach, and don't handle our crabs. They don't have the capacity to 'bond' or to be a pet like a cat or a dog. Some will naturally not be as shy as others. My Sonny doesn't mind my watching him or being near the tank, while my Cher will go to a hide if I am too close to the tank.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:05 pm

Actually curlysister meant that they are prey animals and they see us as predators.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:06 pm

Bahaha! Yes. Yes, that's exactly what I meant!
Sorry for the typo!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Angela.Farris

Post by Angela.Farris » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:59 pm

Thanks. I guess, as a dog lover, that I am always looking for that bond! But, this will work.