Hello everyone! Introduction and a few questions?

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
NickTesla

Hello everyone! Introduction and a few questions?

Post by NickTesla » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:24 pm

Hey there everyone, I got two purple pinchers gifted to me by my partner about a fortnight ago, and I thought it was finally time to stop searching online every time I'm worried about something and just join a helpful forum!

I *think* I've been pretty good to them so far - I've put them in a much bigger tank (not sure litre size but it's roughly about 12" tall by 18" wide by 30" long) with about 4" of coconut fibre at the bottom. They've got their water bowls (salty and non salty) and food bowl, plus I've put in some wood from a reptile shop for them to climb about on, including a big piece of bark. They also have some moss in there. I give them plenty of variety of food (using https://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/p ... 25&t=92557 to make sure everything I give them is safe). Currently they have the crab food that came with them, plus some egg, cashews, apple, carrot, and banana. They also needed new shells so I ordered a bunch of different sized ones, boiled them in non-chlorinated water to clean them, and then put them in the tank. I'm also keeping the tank warm (between 25-30 degrees C) and around 70-80% humidity.

I just want to make sure that my somewhat unexpected new pets get a long and healthy life, and I am something of a worrier. My bigger crab, who at first was more shy, is now roaming around all over, but swapped shells about three times since I put the new shells in on Friday (two days ago) and I wasn't sure if that's normal? Also the smaller crab who was at first very adventurous has spend the last couple of nights huddled in a corner under the piece of bark retracted into his shell. I know he's alive as earlier I had to move him, and he scuttled back to his spot as soon as I put him down.

I hope you all forgive my OTT message, but I worry I am being an accidentally bad owner. I've spent the last fortnight since I got them constantly researching online and sometimes feel like I'm going around in circles with contradictory advice.

Thanks! Nick :)

Hermiesguardian

Re: Hello everyone! Introduction and a few questions?

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:47 pm

Welcome! Sounds like you're doing a great job so far. Just a couple of tweaks. Their substrate needs to be a minimum of 6 inches or 3 times the height of your largest crab. Some use all eco earth or playsand or a mix. I think a mix holds its shape better. It needs to be mixed with dechlorinated fresh or salt water to sandcastle consistancy. The best dechlorinator is Prime. And Instant Ocean added to make salt water. A digital thermometer/hygrometer is better than analog. Their humidity needs to be a minimum of 80%. They have modified gills and need the humidity to breath. Make sure your lid is sealed to keep in the humidity. It's very common for them to change shells often. They can be picky. Or hardly change shells. You can ditch the hermit crab food they came with. Most items marketed for crabs is not good for them. And we live pics! You can upload pics through the app Tapatalk.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:16 pm

We won't steer you wrong. We all have our own ways of doing the exact same thing! Always refer to the care pages for everything.
Proteins, calciums, leaf litter, fruits, veggies, seafoods. Heat and humidity are important. I recommend Accurite. Offer 5 shells per crab and vary the sizes so they don't fight over shells. Oh, and they are a hands off animal, so don't handle them. It stresses them out and that can tend to be very harmful depending how they react to stress. Every crab is different and has a different attitude and personality.
Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:35 pm

Crabs are one of those pets that there's a tonne of good advice as much as there is bad. Its sifting through it all that can be a pain. (And even then, sometimes the good advice can contradict eachother!)

Sounds like a pretty good setup, where you covered most of the basics!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
NickTesla

Post by NickTesla » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:55 am

Thanks for all the advice! Currently we're in the process of moving house so when we get the new place I'm going to try to give them a much better setup. I'm using bottled spring water at the moment as I can get it cheap from work, it has no chlorine in it. I've also bought some Instant Ocean on Amazon which should arrive today or tomorrow to replace the little baggie of 'hermit crab salt' that came with them. I try not to handle them at all if I can help it. Next payday I'll be getting digital thermometer and hygrometer to replace the analog ones. Thanks for the advice and support!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:08 am

Just a word about your move. If you are actually moving their tank with them in in, that can collapse their tunnels and caves. You may have to put them in a temporary container, tote, while the tank is being set up in the new place. But if one or more are molting moving them is an issue. I know people on here have moved and can offer good advice.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:53 am

One comment about spring water. There are other trace minerals in spring water that humans can deal with, but it's too much for hermit crabs cause they're a lot smaller. You'll need to dechlorinate it still to bind the metals.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:46 am

Hello, welcome to the forum! I just had to pop in and say, I have a Nick and he loves Tesla’s. Lol! He just turned 9 though so he won’t be driving one anytime soon. I love your user name.