Recently rescued a crab

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
StephG72

Recently rescued a crab

Post by StephG72 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:49 pm

Hi everyone - last week while my family was on vacation at the beach in Maine, someone approached my kids and asked if they wanted to have their hermit crab; otherwise, they were going to release it "back into the wild." Well, I'm a sucker and told them they could keep it (at least temporarily) since I knew enough about land hermit crabs to know the poor thing wasn't going to survive long if it was let go in Maine. We went to the pet store that night and got a temporary carrier, substrate and some basic supplies, including a new shell that he moved into, until we could get back home.

Well, fast forward a week and I'm now the owner of a 29 gallon tank with a 5:1 mix of sand and EE - although I think I need to add a few more inches - and "Moe" seems to doing okay. From my research, it looks like he's a PP and he's golf ball sized, so I think that means he's not *too* young, right? Here's a picture, although there's not much for size perspective: https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/S_ ... DqLZ60JyUq

I've got more supplies coming (an UTH w/ thermostat, some fake foliage for him to hide in and some wood for him to climb on). I know nothing about his prior situation other than the fact that he came to us in one of those little "hermit crab cages" that they sometimes sell them in. I might be wrong, but I'm guessing if they were willing to just dump him at the beach in Maine, he might not have had the best care prior. He doesn't seem to eat a ton, but I really have no idea how much to expect a single crab to eat.

So I know they prefer having companions over being alone, but I'm wondering if I should wait a bit before introducing any new crabs. Would new crabs help with any stress or make it worse? Also, now that he has access to sand, he's buried himself under the water dish and now I'm paranoid he's going to molt and I'm not sure about adding crabs in that scenario.

Yes, I'm probably over-thinking this, but I'd appreciate any help/guidance. Thanks in advance!!

Kydra

Re: Recently rescued a crab

Post by Kydra » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:20 pm

I would wait at this point as far as adding anymore crabs. How deep is he buried? If he does molt there, I'd be cautious for now. Not sure I'd even want to mess with the water bowl too much now while he is underneath (again depending on what you mean by underneath the water bowl). He may be destressing from prior conditions. See what happens in the next few days or so.

Since he's alone there's no worry about being attacked if he does molt closer towards the top of the substrate. Seems like you've read the basic care guide here so just get the temp and humidity to appropriate levels then go from there. I'm also new and spent way too much money from what I was told at the boardwalk to getting a temp setup to now a 10 gallon and still have 1 crab in the 3" all EE transition tank (hopefully molting, fingers crossed).

I am also a huge animal guy and mentioned in my original post here about how ridiculous it is they sell these with zero knowledge. Then you do some research and immediately it's like WTH. It is appalling. I agree with ya there.

I'm sure you'll get some help from those with more experience, but just stay hands off and get the crabitat conditions where they should be. Also, keep us posted on how he's doing. Coming up at night or not, etc.

You'll get more feedback/advice as you go. Good luck with your rescue! I would have done the same.

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:55 pm

I agree, hands off. Keep an eye on the heat and humidity. Make sure he has the DC fresh and salt waters available along with proteins, calcium, etc. It may take weeks or months for him to acclimate to a healthy environment. Plus, nobody knows what he's already been thru!
While you are waiting patiently (lol!) Read up on the care guides, check out pics, and ask as many questions as you can to learn more! He may be molting..or just destressing. Once you know he's up and healthy, then maybe rescue another crab to join him! There's all kinds of Hermit Crab adoption sites! Good luck and good job! Welcome!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
StephG72

Post by StephG72 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:34 pm

Kydra wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:20 pm
I would wait at this point as far as adding anymore crabs. How deep is he buried? If he does molt there, I'd be cautious for now. Not sure I'd even want to mess with the water bowl too much now while he is underneath (again depending on what you mean by underneath the water bowl). He may be destressing from prior conditions. See what happens in the next few days or so.

Since he's alone there's no worry about being attacked if he does molt closer towards the top of the substrate. Seems like you've read the basic care guide here so just get the temp and humidity to appropriate levels then go from there. I'm also new and spent way too much money from what I was told at the boardwalk to getting a temp setup to now a 10 gallon and still have 1 crab in the 3" all EE transition tank (hopefully molting, fingers crossed).

I am also a huge animal guy and mentioned in my original post here about how ridiculous it is they sell these with zero knowledge. Then you do some research and immediately it's like WTH. It is appalling. I agree with ya there.

I'm sure you'll get some help from those with more experience, but just stay hands off and get the crabitat conditions where they should be. Also, keep us posted on how he's doing. Coming up at night or not, etc.

You'll get more feedback/advice as you go. Good luck with your rescue! I would have done the same.
Thanks! When I came down this morning, he had somehow burrowed right under the fresh water dish (without spilling it all, no less!) but I could still see a bit of the top of his shell through a gap in the sand. When I looked later, it appeared that he's channeled laterally through the sand to where he doesn't appear to be directly underneath the dish any longer. The sand in that section of the tank is about 5" deep so it looks like he's got enough depth to bury himself completely. Although I would like to get it a little deeper, I'm going to wait until I know he's "okay".

So, when they come up from burying themselves, do they normally use the same opening they went in at or do they just come up from where they're at? Just in case, I put in another dish of DC fresh water in case he knocks the other one over trying to get out overnight.

I'm wondering if he's buried himself in part because the tank temp is a little on the low side. My temp gauge says it's around 70 in there, but the humidity is right where it should be. We don't keep our house that cool during the summer, but the central AC is set for the low 70s. Until my UTH shows up, I decided to wrap the sides and back of the tank with a heated blanket I have. It's not terribly powerful, but I'm hoping that can get the temp up a little bit until the tank heater arrives.

My husband thinks I'm totally nuts, but I feel responsible for this little guy since we decided to take him home with us and just want to make sure he's living a good life. :lol:

Topic author
StephG72

Post by StephG72 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:50 pm

Xenocrab wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:55 pm
I agree, hands off. Keep an eye on the heat and humidity. Make sure he has the DC fresh and salt waters available along with proteins, calcium, etc. It may take weeks or months for him to acclimate to a healthy environment. Plus, nobody knows what he's already been thru!
While you are waiting patiently (lol!) Read up on the care guides, check out pics, and ask as many questions as you can to learn more! He may be molting..or just destressing. Once you know he's up and healthy, then maybe rescue another crab to join him! There's all kinds of Hermit Crab adoption sites! Good luck and good job! Welcome!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Thanks! I've got both DC fresh and salt water in there for him and have a piece of a broken sand dollar in there for calcium. I've been providing him with fresh fruit and veggies (he seems to like grapes and cherries best) and a small shell with commercial hermit crab food but I'd like to get him some other protein sources in there as well.

Given a choice, I'd prefer to adopt/rescue as opposed to purchasing when we do finally decide to add some friends. I'll take a look for some of the adoption sites - I took a quick look on Craigslist the other day, but didn't see anyone looking to unload their crabs.

Topic author
StephG72

Post by StephG72 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:21 am

So it looks like he surfaced overnight - possibly through the same hole under the water dish - and visited the new water dish and nibbled on some of the cherry half I put out (but doesn't seem to be a fan of carrots). There are a couple new holes in different locations, but he's back underground now so I'm assuming he's just destressing rather than molting since he was out and about last night.

doth

Post by doth » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:16 pm

sounds like you are on the right track! Add some protein to his diet & keep up the good work! you can try some raw honey too, crabs love it & it can help them "heal" after being in poor conditions.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Topic author
StephG72

Post by StephG72 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:00 am

So Moe surfaced again Friday evening and ate a small piece of cheese - not having any clue how much to expect him to eat, I probably should have put out more. Regardless, he buried himself again Friday night and hasn't been up since (no signs of the sand being disturbed and he hasn't touched the food - fresh cheese, peanut butter, corn or broken chicken bone - I put out). As I stated above, I know his tank is a bit on the chilly side (hovering right around 70°F) but my UTH should be arriving today. I went with an 11x29 Ultratherm so even though it isn't right up against the wall, I'm possibly going to have to move it a little to get it installed properly on the back wall of the tank. If he is still under the substrate, is there any risk to me sliding the tank a bit (i.e. might that collapse any tunnels?) to get it set up or do you think it's better to just get the temp of the tank up?

Topic author
StephG72

Post by StephG72 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:19 pm

So I thought I'd post an update and ask a question...

After having last been seen on 8/29 (and no signs at all of him coming up) Moe *finally* resurfaced this morning after 11 weeks being under!! I legitimately shouted to my husband and kids, "OMG - he's alive!!!" when I saw him out and about. He'd changed into a new Murex shell and had managed to knock over the thermometer/hygrometer during his exploration of his tank (I'd made some changes/additions while he was under) and moved a few other things around. Even though I was checking for the "rotting seafood" smell on an almost daily basis (but not finding any), just the other day I was contemplating whether I should just give up on him and turn off the tank heater as I was convinced I was just wasting electricity at this point!

I scrambled to put out some fresh food and later on I think I saw him eating some of the honey I put out in an oyster shell. In the short time we had him before he "went under", I never got a reliable feel on how much to expect him to eat on a regular basis or what kind of things he liked to eat other than grapes and cherries (and maybe cheese and corn-on-the-cob). I know every crab is different, but how much should I expect to see a small-medium crab eat? And are there any tried and true foods that really seem to be favorites? I'd really like to make sure I can find a protein source he enjoys. I've got the list of "safe foods" printed out, but I thought I'd ask if anyone has any advice.

Thanks!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:47 pm

StephG72 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:19 pm
So I thought I'd post an update and ask a question...

After having last been seen on 8/29 (and no signs at all of him coming up) Moe *finally* resurfaced this morning after 11 weeks being under!! I legitimately shouted to my husband and kids, "OMG - he's alive!!!" when I saw him out and about. He'd changed into a new Murex shell and had managed to knock over the thermometer/hygrometer during his exploration of his tank (I'd made some changes/additions while he was under) and moved a few other things around. Even though I was checking for the "rotting seafood" smell on an almost daily basis (but not finding any), just the other day I was contemplating whether I should just give up on him and turn off the tank heater as I was convinced I was just wasting electricity at this point!

I scrambled to put out some fresh food and later on I think I saw him eating some of the honey I put out in an oyster shell. In the short time we had him before he "went under", I never got a reliable feel on how much to expect him to eat on a regular basis or what kind of things he liked to eat other than grapes and cherries (and maybe cheese and corn-on-the-cob). I know every crab is different, but how much should I expect to see a small-medium crab eat? And are there any tried and true foods that really seem to be favorites? I'd really like to make sure I can find a protein source he enjoys. I've got the list of "safe foods" printed out, but I thought I'd ask if anyone has any advice.

Thanks!
Yay! Finding their favorite food is hard. Because their tastes change. One time they may love something. Next time not touch it. So you just have to try different things. Any meat, raw or cooked, no seasonings. You can feed him a piece of meat about 1/4 size of your fingernail. Even that there will be left over. Of course round out the meal with other things from the safe food list and food pyramid. Usually plain cheerios are a treat.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi