Help!! Crabs as classroom pet!!

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Amanda Jacobs

Help!! Crabs as classroom pet!!

Post by Amanda Jacobs » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:41 pm

Hi there, newbie here! I just received three hermit crabs from a friend. Her kid wasn't taking very good care of them, so I thought my first grade students would love a class pet. Now, I'm nervous. Can you tell me the basics of what I need in terms of their tank and feeding? I'll dig into this site more now, but wanted to get a start. Thanks!

PS. I see they need saltwater. Can I use ocean water?

RAHermits

Re: Help!! Crabs as classroom pet!!

Post by RAHermits » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:56 pm

Welcome! Lots and lots of care sheets in this section alone, it will tell you the same things we will.

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:32 pm

I agree. Read all the info. There's a lot to know!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

5 store bought, 6 rescues and 7 adopted.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:24 pm

Welcome. I'd avoid ocean water since in an enclosed environment, it's very easy for things to 'go south'. For example, unless you filter it will, it will likely contain microbes and organisms that have the potential to infect your crabs. Using a salt and mixing your own water, its greatly reduced that the crabs will be exposed to that.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Crabs || Fish || Shrimp || Snails || Plants || Insects

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:29 pm

I agree. It sounds like it would make sense to use ocean water, but it's a very bad idea. AussieJJdude is correct, but I'd like to mention how polluted the oceans are. Dechlorinated salt water is easy to make. Get Prime (2 drops per gallon) and instant ocean (I use 1/2 cup per gallon). Shake/mix well. You can get those at most pet stores and they go a long way!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:42 pm

Crabs are mostly nocturnal so there won't be much daytime activity. And when they are buried for molting you're left with "pet sand".
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:05 pm

In general, they are nocturnal, but I've had crabs out 24/7 depending on the time of year, their individual molting schedules, etc. I've seen a lot of activity during the day. They ultimately decide when they want to be up, out and active. Our Wheelie girl, who now lives with Mary, has run on the wheel for 12 hours straight