Best vacation ever!!

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
ROSIEonFIRE

Best vacation ever!!

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:10 pm

So I've been in RI w my family on vacation and for our last day we stopped at a shell shop, hung out in Providence (I lived there for a bit when I was younger and it is the home of my heart, really awesome town if u haven't been there yet u should check it out), and managed to adopt 2 small crabs all in one day!! Best vacation eveeeerrrrrrrr!!!!
ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Best vacation ever!!

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:15 pm

Awesome :) Congratulations! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:43 pm

Yay! Lucky crabbies! Congrats!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:38 pm

I could actually use some advice. As you may know by now, my BF and I are in the process of moving into our new house and I was planning on setting up the new crabitat tomorrow. My typical inclination is to release these guys into my tat asap since they have been through alot, including your typical insufficient care conditions at their previous residence. However, I'm a little worried that if I let them out into my crabitat when I get home they will go down for a molt immediately so I'm thinking I might keep them in their travel container overnight.

What do u guys think? I feel like if they've survived this long another day isn't to going to kill them.

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:41 pm

Do you have an iso tank set up? I'm sure at this point in your crabbing experience, you know how to have the heat, humidity, foods, etc under control! You got this!

Topic author
ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:05 pm

Xenocrab wrote:Do you have an iso tank set up? I'm sure at this point in your crabbing experience, you know how to have the heat, humidity, foods, etc under control! You got this!

No, I've never done that with any of my crabs! If I had a crab emergency I could throw something together really last minute with the supplies I have right now but I think it would still bring us back to the original problem aka; I dont want these things melting until I get them into the new tat.

I think I might just put some food in their travel container and place it inside the current crabitat so that they have approx. The same environmental conditions. Overnight crab motel!

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:07 pm

Always have an iso tank ready. You know what they need, so I'm sure they will be ok. No idea what they have already been thru, so a crabby motel is probably a lot better for now!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:46 pm

With most of the new crabs we get they all pretty much dig and molt the second their claws hit the substrate. Most usually skip meals and water and just dig. I think maybe keep them in this container overnight and give them food that are beneficial for molting. A good meal before placing them in the new tank may help them get through their first molt with you. The poor guys probably didn't have a good meal in months and I'm sure it will be welcomed.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:52 pm

Motörcrab wrote:With most of the new crabs we get they all pretty much dig and molt the second their claws hit the substrate. Most usually skip meals and water and just dig. I think maybe keep them in this container overnight and give them food that are beneficial for molting. A good meal before placing them in the new tank may help them get through their first molt with you. The poor guys probably didn't have a good meal in months and I'm sure it will be welcomed.
That's exactly what my rescues did last week. The small one dug down right away. The bigger one wandered around for a few hours, ate, and went under. I haven't seen either one of them since. So the temporary crabby motel might be a good idea until you move. Image
Ps-Congrats!!! Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:04 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:That's exactly what my rescues did last week. The small one dug down right away. The bigger one wandered around for a few hours, ate, and went under. I haven't seen either one of them since. So the temporary crabby motel might be a good idea until you move. Image
Ps-Congrats!!! Image

Thanks!

Omg, I was just describing the process of setting up the new crabitat to my mom and now I'm feeling totally overwhelmed!! I cant wait for everything to be set up, I've been planning this for months now and its finally almost over!

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:20 pm

You're welcome!
Don't worry, it will all be over soon and your crabbies will be living it up in their new digs. I'd love to see the new tat when you're all finished! Good luck with it all!

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Topic author
ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:35 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:You're welcome!
Don't worry, it will all be over soon and your crabbies will be living it up in their new digs. I'd love to see the new tat when you're all finished! Good luck with it all! Image

I have a build thread, I think in the DIY forum. I'll be posting updates there :)

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:52 pm

Sounds good! I'll make sure I check that thread.

Topic author
ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:23 pm

Motörcrab wrote:With most of the new crabs we get they all pretty much dig and molt the second their claws hit the substrate. Most usually skip meals and water and just dig. I think maybe keep them in this container overnight and give them food that are beneficial for molting. A good meal before placing them in the new tank may help them get through their first molt with you. The poor guys probably didn't have a good meal in months and I'm sure it will be welcomed.
Yeah this is pretty much what I'm thinking. I've got a lot to do tomorrow but with any luck at all everything should be set up by the end of the day!! *fingers crossed*