New crabs- light colored injuries (?) and quarantine questions

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Hermies1123

New crabs- light colored injuries (?) and quarantine questions

Post by Hermies1123 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:24 pm

Hello,

I just took in three crabs from someone who could no longer care for them, and one of them has light colored marks on him (see photos-- google drive link). I was wondering what these could be? My first guess is lesions from a fight with another crab, but I want to be sure it is nothing contagious before introducing the trio to my main crabitat.

I was planning on quarantining them for two weeks (or longer if illness is suspected). Is that long enough? Besides mites and shell rot, what are some health conditions I should be concerned about before introducing my new arrivals to my primary crabitat?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Meg'sAussieCrabitat

Re: New crabs- light colored injuries (?) and quarantine questions

Post by Meg'sAussieCrabitat » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:19 pm

I quarantine for a month, even if there are no sicknesses. Mainly it is so that they get food and water in them so that they are in good health before they try to moult.
I'm afraid I don't know what those white marks are, though.
Good luck with your new crabs!

5th year of crabbing with my 6 Aussies; Lily, Cocoa, Belladonna, Acorn, and Mango in a 65-gallon crabitat.
Also an owner of beautiful Sussex chickens; Adelaide, and Marshmallow, and my cat, Bluebell.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: New crabs- light colored injuries (?) and quarantine questions

Post by wodesorel » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:44 pm

They can get those patches sometimes from rubbing against the edges of their shell. I've also seen it when they got sand on them while still wet from moulting. It's harmless and if he changes shells before his next molt they should disappear
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram