New Crab Owner Here

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
aarin-m

New Crab Owner Here

Post by aarin-m » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:12 pm

Hello all! I'm Aarin, and I have recently become a hermit crab owner, something I never envisioned myself being. But I work at a pet store, and a customer came in with a crab he was looking to get rid of. (Apparently it was a gift from his mother in law to his kid, who didn't want it.) He ended up leaving it with us, and I decided to take it home. I didn't know anything about crab care before this, but hermit-crabs.com was extremely helpful for getting started. My adopted crab is now in a 10 gallon tank with good temp and humidity, and I got him a friend from another local pet store so he wouldn't be alone. There is still plenty of room for improvement, and I have plans to try the 5:1 substrate mixture and adding a timer to the light so they'll have a consistent day/night cycle. Still, I figure it's better than being in a house where no one wants it.

Anyway, I'm excited to learn much more about hermit crab care! :D

DevilNDisguise

Re: New Crab Owner Here

Post by DevilNDisguise » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:25 pm

Welcome to the site! :) It's pretty cool around here. I've used this place for most of my research, but was always too intimated to sign up, haha. But I got over that and joined recently as well, and learned that this place is in fact very warm and welcoming! We all have a common interest, and that is our love for our crabbies. We are all here for each other.

Sure is an adventure, though. I started off with beach shop crabs, and have rescued and adopted many of my pet store workplace's hermit crabs as well, since the beginning of this crazy journey.

So good luck in your continuing learning process, and I hope you enjoy your new little friends! :)
1 Bearded Dragon, 1 Guinea Pig, 1 Mouse, 1 Lovebird, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 2 Rabbits, 2 Frogs, 2 Cockatiels, 2 Budgies & Their 3 Babies, 3 Rats, 4 Hamsters, and Many Hermit Crabs!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:35 pm

Welcome! Sounds like you're off to a good start. Read through the care sheets. The safe/unsafe food list. And the food pyramid.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:34 am

Welcome to the HCA! There is always somebody around to help you out with all your crabby situations.

Sent from my LGL158VL using Tapatalk

(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:07 am

Welcome to the board! All the advice and comments above are amazing, and no need to parrot what everyone said beautifully...

So once again,
Welcome!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies