Do I need to redirect Tiny away from underground Bleep?

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Brio444

Do I need to redirect Tiny away from underground Bleep?

Post by Brio444 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:39 pm

Hi! My little crab family has been doing well. I guess they’re all settling in as all but one are underground and I haven’t seen them. I could see Bleep (medium, former shell thief) as he’d set up shop next to the glass. He’s been down about 2 weeks and put up a sand curtain the last 3 days for privacy. But today, Tiny is tunneling right next to him. (Tiny is #2 in the pic. Bleep’s spot is #1).

Do I need to redirect Tiny? (And how?)

(And on the back side of the tank, I’m pretty sure not-yet names red shell is right above Buster, who has been down even longer!).

I think they all like the heater, though the temperature gauge - on the other side! - says the “cold”side is 80. Chill, dudes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Do I need to redirect Tiny away from underground Bleep?

Post by JoeHermits » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:45 pm

No, you don’t need to redirect Tiny. Hermit crab tunnels run in many directions and the chances of burrowing crabs interacting are low enough that we usually leave them be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Family Hub Refrigerator using Tapatalk

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:28 pm

JoeHermits wrote:No, you don’t need to redirect Tiny. Hermit crab tunnels run in many directions and the chances of burrowing crabs interacting are low enough that we usually leave them be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Family Hub Refrigerator using Tapatalk
I think he means he can actually see both of the crabs right there.
It looks like your substrate might not be deep enough for them to be able to burrow and molt properly without another crab being able to find them, it’s hard to tell from a picture though. It’s possible crab 1 is just hanging out and not molting.

Topic author
Brio444

Post by Brio444 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:10 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote: I think he means he can actually see both of the crabs right there.
It looks like your substrate might not be deep enough for them to be able to burrow and molt properly without another crab being able to find them, it’s hard to tell from a picture though. It’s possible crab 1 is just hanging out and not molting.

Really? On this side there’s 7 inches. Deeper side is over 8? No one is bigger than a golf ball. (Might look like less because this is an old weird tank and the aquarium actually goes down past the decorative wood into the base, of that makes sense. There’s another inch+ behind the wood floorboard (tankboard?). Tiny is definitely just hanging out. Bleep (1), I can’t see anymore.

I have pet sand. With some pet wood and pet rocks and pet water.

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:26 pm

Perspective is hard in pics sometimes! Sounds like you prolly have enough sub, and as they said, best to just let them sort it out! They did it just fine on their own, it’s so hard not to want to help them!!!!

I have a crab I must have lost that I have to dig up here in a bit, and molting crabs somewhere else. However, a bloom is on the verge of really getting going so I can’t wait.... it’s gonna be so crappy- I hope I don’t run across any of my 3 other molters... one is for sure at the other end, and I think at least one other is somewhere down that way.... sorry I’m rambling bc I don’t want to! I’ll remove the entire corner of sub to be sure I got it all.

Your guys will be ok. Just be sure you’re always providing lots of protein and calcium, and the odds of them attacking each other drops significantly. Best of luck to your molters/burrowers!!

Topic author
Brio444

Post by Brio444 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:30 pm

Ugh. Good luck.

I feel like I want little to pop up little flags on the surface for where they were last seen.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:49 pm

No, a flag on the surface where they were last seen won't help us know where they are now. The crab needs to pop up a flag that shows his current location! Hahahaha! :)
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:08 pm

Brio444 wrote:
Really? On this side there’s 7 inches. Deeper side is over 8? No one is bigger than a golf ball. (Might look like less because this is an old weird tank and the aquarium actually goes down past the decorative wood into the base, of that makes sense. There’s another inch+ behind the wood floorboard (tankboard?). Tiny is definitely just hanging out. Bleep (1), I can’t see anymore.

I have pet sand. With some pet wood and pet rocks and pet water.

Oh yes, you are totally fine then. I apologize it’s hard to tell from pictures sometimes.