New to crabbing, am I doing something wrong??

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
JiJuXue

New to crabbing, am I doing something wrong??

Post by JiJuXue » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:56 am

I got 3 new crabs 7 days ago and all seemed to settle in well at first, one even changed shells on the first night.

However as the week has gone on, one has become very inactive just sitting in his hide on top of the substrate and just not moving, while another has buried himself but only lightly as can see the top of his shell. The third has been the most active but have noticed a big slow down in his behavior (bored because he’s now got no one to play with?)

Humidity and temperature (UTH) has been n have been using a digital hydrometer to monitor, substrate is EE (not mix with sand) and is 4” deep at the deepest section so not sure what’s wrong?

They we eating quite well and very extroverted for first two days but now gone completely the opposite?? Not sure if I’m doing something wrong??

doth

Re: New to crabbing, am I doing something wrong??

Post by doth » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:35 am

sometimes crabs will be really active after a big stressor (like moving to a new tank etc) and then slow back down.

it can be hard to tell when something's wrong, because maybe they are moving around more at night when you can't see them. or they could have had some illness before you got them & are showing signs now.

leave plenty of nutritious foods out for them. I think there's a thread on "healing foods" here somewhere. I know raw honey & bee pollen are good, make sure there's animal protein & calcium available too.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:30 am

You need deeper sub - it should be minimum of 6 inches, or 3 times as deep as your largest crab, whichever is deeper, all over the tank (ie- your most shallow area should be at least that).

What are your heat and humidity readings? What are you feeding them?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

doth

Post by doth » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:54 am

agree w/ curly about the sub but personally I would wait a bit before making a major change like that as it could stress the crabs further

Topic author
JiJuXue

Post by JiJuXue » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:49 pm

curlysister wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:30 am
You need deeper sub - it should be minimum of 6 inches, or 3 times as deep as your largest crab, whichever is deeper, all over the tank (ie- your most shallow area should be at least that).

What are your heat and humidity readings? What are you feeding them?

My largest crab is only 1” so that’s why it’s 4/5” deep. But that’s only at the deeper third of the tank (where they all currently are except for 1)

Humidity constantly around 75/80 and temp is between 23-26 degrees.

Last night was the first time no one touched the food :( The two that are in the deeper section seem to have semi dug in but the top half of shell still visible... can the substrate be too moist preventing them digging deeper? There is some condensation on the inside at the deeper depth?

Topic author
JiJuXue

Post by JiJuXue » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:51 pm

doth wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:54 am
agree w/ curly about the sub but personally I would wait a bit before making a major change like that as it could stress the crabs further

Yes I tend to agree, might hold off for now

But what do you think about moving the whole tank to a quieter space in the house? Currently in a very and noises area?

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:31 pm

JiJuXue wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:51 pm
Yes I tend to agree, might hold off for now

But what do you think about moving the whole tank to a quieter space in the house? Currently in a very and noises area?
Moving a tank with any crabs underneath can collapse their caves and tunnels and they will suffocate.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
JiJuXue

Post by JiJuXue » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:40 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:31 pm
Moving a tank with any crabs underneath can collapse their caves and tunnels and they will suffocate.
Ok so definitely won’t do that...

Guess I’ll just wait and see... who’d have thought hermit crabbing would be such high stress