New crabs !

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New crabs !

Post by JoeHermits » Mon May 11, 2020 11:53 am

22pony22 wrote: I have no idea what you just said :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s Spanish. She said she likes it.

Topic author
22pony22

Post by 22pony22 » Mon May 11, 2020 9:10 pm

Woot!!
Finally, my hermit crab patch package is on the way. I didn’t hear anything from them since May 3 and was starting to worry. Today it cleared Canadian customs- arrived at a Canadian facility and was just told it departed the Canadian facility and is on route to the destination!

Was also just told that my order of vines and dog treats for my family’s dog has been shipped.

22pony22
Current pets: Happy, Crabcake, Blue and Becca.
RIP: Peaches, Fred, Fishy, Goldie, Buddy, Hero, Nemo, Star, Aqua, Indy, King T. Hermy, Frogi, Grog, Yggorf, #4, Dude, Shelli and Bashful.

Neleono

Post by Neleono » Mon May 11, 2020 11:14 pm

Congratulations and I love the names. You got very lucky with such good crabbies

Topic author
22pony22

Post by 22pony22 » Tue May 12, 2020 6:28 am

Neleono wrote:Congratulations and I love the names. You got very lucky with such good crabbies
Thanks! There names came from the Disney movie.

Happy (larger one) very out going and literally always comes out to say hi when I pick him/her up. But, will still hide in shell if I suddenly appear in front of the tank. Hasn’t pinched....yet.

Bashful (tiny) is extremely shy and never comes out to say hi. Though I do catch him/her slightly looking out of the shell but then goes right back in.

22pony22
RIP: Peaches, Fred, Fishy, Goldie, Buddy, Hero, Nemo, Star, Aqua, Indy, King T. Hermy, Frogi, Grog, Yggorf, #4, Dude, Shelli and Bashful.

RAHermits

Post by RAHermits » Wed May 13, 2020 3:44 pm

22pony22 wrote: Thanks! There names came from the Disney movie.

Happy (larger one) very out going and literally always comes out to say hi when I pick him/her up. But, will still hide in shell if I suddenly appear in front of the tank. Hasn’t pinched....yet.

Bashful (tiny) is extremely shy and never comes out to say hi. Though I do catch him/her slightly looking out of the shell but then goes right back in.

Be careful about picking your crabs up, it's very stressful for them and I advise against it. They aren't your typical pet in that they don't like to be held and "played with."

Topic author
22pony22

Post by 22pony22 » Thu May 14, 2020 7:02 am

Today is the day that my package arrives from hermit crab patch. I’ll get wood piece in tank on the weekend though cause that’s the next time I need to change the food and water dishes.

22pony22

Topic author
22pony22

Post by 22pony22 » Fri May 15, 2020 9:53 am

Found Bashful naked this morning. Created a post in the emergency forum, put in small container with shells. Read about how to manually re-shell crabs and decided to give it a try. Got Bashful back into the shell he dropped. So far he's staying in. Put back into the tank without container. Keeping tank dark and covered. Trying to resist going in to look at him and make sure he is still alive--My first crab (Hermy never molted and died of PPS so I am now a paranoid worried crab mom).

Happy was last spotted on May 13--hanging upside down. Had crab party that night and threw food, shells and substrate everywhere and disappeared. Last molt was March 31 to May 10- did brief look around tank and but I haven't seen him. Could he be molting again?

My Hermit Crab Patch Package is suppose to come today/ Saturday--It is Shells (8 for each crab), wood and calipers. Do I need to boil shells before putting them in?
22pony22

RAHermits

Post by RAHermits » Fri May 15, 2020 10:36 am

22pony22 wrote:Found Bashful naked this morning. Created a post in the emergency forum, put in small container with shells. Read about how to manually re-shell crabs and decided to give it a try. Got Bashful back into the shell he dropped. So far he's staying in. Put back into the tank without container. Keeping tank dark and covered. Trying to resist going in to look at him and make sure he is still alive--My first crab (Hermy never molted and died of PPS so I am now a paranoid worried crab mom).

Happy was last spotted on May 13--hanging upside down. Had crab party that night and threw food, shells and substrate everywhere and disappeared. Last molt was March 31 to May 10- did brief look around tank and but I haven't seen him. Could he be molting again?

My Hermit Crab Patch Package is suppose to come today/ Saturday--It is Shells (8 for each crab), wood and calipers. Do I need to boil shells before putting them in?
For the shells, you can boil them for 5 minutes in prime water then rinse them with salt water and the crabs will love them.

Topic author
22pony22

Post by 22pony22 » Fri May 15, 2020 12:23 pm

Shells are clean? Honestly don’t have time to boil them really need to get bashful back in a shell ASAP!

22pony22

RAHermits

Post by RAHermits » Fri May 15, 2020 12:26 pm

22pony22 wrote:Shells are clean? Honestly don’t have time to boil them really need to get bashful back in a shell ASAP!

You said you had gotten him back into his shell?? If you must throw them in your tank okay, but taking five minutes to boil them is a safer bet.

Topic author
22pony22

Post by 22pony22 » Fri May 15, 2020 12:49 pm

He got back in the shell with me making him go in. I thought all was well and put him back in tank. He got out again. I put him back in shell again. He fell out when I picked up shell and I got him back in shell

22pony22

RAHermits

Post by RAHermits » Fri May 15, 2020 12:50 pm

22pony22 wrote:He got back in the shell with me making him go in. I thought all was well and put him back in tank. He got out again. I put him back in shell again. He fell out when I picked up shell and I got him back in shell

I would still recommend you boil the shells. They could've been boiled and into the tank at this point.

Topic author
22pony22

Post by 22pony22 » Fri May 15, 2020 1:00 pm

Going to boil them- just the ones I just received

22pony22

Topic author
22pony22

Post by 22pony22 » Fri May 15, 2020 1:29 pm

Waiting for the shells to cool. Been keeping the tank dark and covered--Last time I checked he was still in the shell.

Why'd this have to happen on what was going to be happy day--the two month anniversary of them coming home. They were both molting during the one month--and to make things even better my hermit crab patch package was going to come today. Everything changed when I went to turn tank light on and discovered an empty shell and a naked crab laying there. Happy the package came. Now I'm praying there's a chance to save him. especially since stores are closed so I cannot get a new friend for Happy if Bashful doesn't make it. :(
22pony22

Topic author
22pony22

Post by 22pony22 » Fri May 15, 2020 2:44 pm

Still in shell. I keep thinking I smell something on him. Just put back in tank with the shells I just received for him around him. Really worried about him :/
22pony22