Substrate Questions

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
asiankanye

Substrate Questions

Post by asiankanye » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:05 pm

So amidst the coronavirus outbreak, I've decided that I want to give my little Hermie (King Phil the 1st) a new home along with my other hermit crabs. The issue that I'm having is that I've found a bulk supply of play sand, but I can't seem to find a bulk supply of coco fiber(I want to mix the two substrates). Another thing is can I place live plants already grown into just play sand and will they survive? Thanks in advance! :D

EDIT: I'm buying everything online.

Motörcrab

Re: Probably a stupid question, but please help

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:17 pm

You should be able to buy bricks of Eco Earth. I never used it but you should be able to find that easier online. You need to soak that in water to break it up and use it. If not, most pet stores are open. I'm sure they updated their policies for covid-19. They probably updated their pay online and pick up at the store procedures. I would call ahead or check their website first.

As for plants. AussieJJDude made this guide a few months ago. This should be really handy for you.
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=120839
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

CrabbyLover77

Re: Substrate Questions

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:17 pm

Check out That Pet Place/That Fish Place online. I got a 24 qt bag of loose EE for $15. I used it to upgrade to my 55 gal tank, and I only used half of the bag. I hate buying the bricks that you have to soak. They are so messy!

https://www.thatpetplace.com/eco-earth-24-quarts

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
asiankanye

Post by asiankanye » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:38 pm

Alright, thank you!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:50 pm

What I like about the bricks, is that once you soak them, you can just add the sand and it's all the right consistency.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers