New Crab Owner

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
IceDragon

New Crab Owner

Post by IceDragon » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:44 am

I am a new owner to 3 crabs. Casper, Max, and Spongebob. When I setup their tank I place the water bowls on the shallow warm end. I was wonder if the placement is ok for them or should I change it?

22pony22

Re: New Crab Owner

Post by 22pony22 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:53 am

Can place water dishes where ever you want. Just make sure you remember which dish was for salt water and which dish was for fresh water

What size tank do you have? Would probably be difficult to do a high size and low side in a 10 gallon tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
22pony22
Current pets: Happy, Crabcake, Blue and Becca.
RIP: Peaches, Fred, Fishy, Goldie, Buddy, Hero, Nemo, Star, Aqua, Indy, King T. Hermy, Frogi, Grog, Yggorf, #4, Dude, Shelli and Bashful.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:24 pm

When you say 'shallow warm end'....how big a difference do you have between the ends of the tank?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
IceDragon

Post by IceDragon » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:06 pm

I have a 20 gallon long. One end I have 7” of EE then it slopes down to 3” on the other end.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:14 pm

IceDragon wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:06 pm
I have a 20 gallon long. One end I have 7” of EE then it slopes down to 3” on the other end.
The substrate should be a minimum of 6 inches across or 3 times the height of your largest crab, whichever is deeper. Then you can do a slope from there.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi