Totally new crabby mom

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Crabbypatty1

Totally new crabby mom

Post by Crabbypatty1 » Thu May 14, 2020 10:55 pm

I went on a vacation to Gulf Shores Alabama. We went to a stupid souvenir shop where they sell a sub-par crab habitat with a free crab. I automatically purchased a second crab. Reflex, I guess. Then I read they lived in pods of 100 or more in the wild. The best I could do was purchase two more on the way out of town. Now I have four of these mysterious beings in my life. I have read quite a bit but I want to have all the best info about these little aliens. I put them in a 10 gallon tank with a mushroom compost to start with because I didn’t have anything else. They disappeared into it and I haven’t seen them since. They have plenty of extra shells, sea water and fresh water. Veggies and crab food. What else do they need? I am a skilled vet tech but this is brand new territory for me.

Hermielover121

Re: Totally new crabby mom

Post by Hermielover121 » Thu May 14, 2020 10:59 pm

Well a 10 gallon is a bit small for 4 crabbies maybe try to upgrade. U should get a thermometer and hygrometer and heat mat to control heat and humidity. What brand of commercial food are you using and what are you using to dechlorinate and add salt to the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu May 14, 2020 11:29 pm

Crabbypatty1 wrote:I went on a vacation to Gulf Shores Alabama. We went to a stupid souvenir shop where they sell a sub-par crab habitat with a free crab. I automatically purchased a second crab. Reflex, I guess. Then I read they lived in pods of 100 or more in the wild. The best I could do was purchase two more on the way out of town. Now I have four of these mysterious beings in my life. I have read quite a bit but I want to have all the best info about these little aliens. I put them in a 10 gallon tank with a mushroom compost to start with because I didn’t have anything else. They disappeared into it and I haven’t seen them since. They have plenty of extra shells, sea water and fresh water. Veggies and crab food. What else do they need? I am a skilled vet tech but this is brand new territory for me.
Hi there and welcome!

Here is a great overall care sheet from the HCA. Check it out and let us know what you think!

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

22pony22

Post by 22pony22 » Fri May 15, 2020 6:28 am

Welcome,

One thing that I learned when I stared keeping this type of pet is that if it has a picture of a hermit crab and was made for hermit crabs do not buy it.

Mine seem to like Zilla Reptile diets and Fluker freeze dried bugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
22pony22
Current pets: Happy, Crabcake, Blue and Becca.
RIP: Peaches, Fred, Fishy, Goldie, Buddy, Hero, Nemo, Star, Aqua, Indy, King T. Hermy, Frogi, Grog, Yggorf, #4, Dude, Shelli and Bashful.

Links

Post by Links » Fri May 15, 2020 7:23 am

What a coincidence! Our first crab came from golf Shores Alabama as well. Last October. He still alive thanks to people here.