New Crab Mama- First Crabitat

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Jadeamber22

New Crab Mama- First Crabitat

Post by Jadeamber22 » Sat May 23, 2020 2:45 pm

Hi! First time owning hermit crabs. I was going to buy any since they are caught wild, but I saw some in a pet store the other day with no light, barely any sand at all, a dry water dish, and nowhere to hide, so I thought they would have a better life living with me. I just set up there home. They are both purple pincers and they are named Bulma and Vegeta. We used a pet carrier yesterday as that’s all that was available to bring them home, but today I set up a 10 gallon tank for the two of them as they are still small. Bulma immediately started to explore the hideaway. But Vegeta has been down and hasn’t come out yet. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New Crab Mama- First Crabitat

Post by JoeHermits » Sat May 23, 2020 2:49 pm

Welcome to the HCA! Your tank looks very cozy.

Topic author
Jadeamber22

Post by Jadeamber22 » Sat May 23, 2020 3:02 pm

JoeHermits wrote:Welcome to the HCA! Your tank looks very cozy.

Yeah, I’m wondering if I should have went ahead with a 20 gallon. Image

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat May 23, 2020 6:21 pm

Hello! Welcome to the HCA! :) Did you check out our care guides? Welcome also to the addicting world of crabbing!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Jadeamber22

Post by Jadeamber22 » Sat May 23, 2020 6:23 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Hello! Welcome to the HCA! :) Did you check out our care guides? Welcome also to the addicting world of crabbing!
I have been obsessively studying all the care guides and taking in as much information as possible. Lol. Image Thank you. Image

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sat May 23, 2020 6:50 pm

Welcome to HCA! Your tank looks awesome :D
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
Jadeamber22

Post by Jadeamber22 » Sat May 23, 2020 6:50 pm

Crabby7Crabber wrote:Welcome to HCA! Your tank looks awesome :D
Thank you! Image

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat May 23, 2020 7:25 pm

Jadeamber22 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:02 pm
Yeah, I’m wondering if I should have went ahead with a 20 gallon. Image

Welcome! When you do upgrade, bigger is always better. Get the biggest you can afford and have room for. You can find great used sales.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat May 23, 2020 8:35 pm

Jadeamber22 wrote:Hi! First time owning hermit crabs. I was going to buy any since they are caught wild, but I saw some in a pet store the other day with no light, barely any sand at all, a dry water dish, and nowhere to hide, so I thought they would have a better life living with me. I just set up there home. They are both purple pincers and they are named Bulma and Vegeta. We used a pet carrier yesterday as that’s all that was available to bring them home, but today I set up a 10 gallon tank for the two of them as they are still small. Bulma immediately started to explore the hideaway. But Vegeta has been down and hasn’t come out yet. ImageImage

I love the pyramid ornament! Hope the 2 newbies are settling in well! Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
Jadeamber22

Post by Jadeamber22 » Sat May 23, 2020 8:38 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote: Welcome! When you do upgrade, bigger is always better. Get the biggest you can afford and have room for. You can find great used sales.
I checked out Facebook marketplace, but couldn’t find anything I really liked. But I will keep an eye out! Thank you!

Topic author
Jadeamber22

Post by Jadeamber22 » Sat May 23, 2020 8:40 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:I love the pyramid ornament! Hope the 2 newbies are settling in well! Image

Thank you! They’re still unsure. Lol. Vegeta got out and explored for a while, but Bulma is still in the pyramid hiding. Lol.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat May 23, 2020 8:45 pm

Jadeamber22 wrote: Thank you! They’re still unsure. Lol. Vegeta got out and explored for a while, but Bulma is still in the pyramid hiding. Lol.

Yw! I'm sure Bulma will come out soon, especially if she sees Vegeta out. Image

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Topic author
Jadeamber22

Post by Jadeamber22 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:00 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote: Yw! I'm sure Bulma will come out soon, especially if she sees Vegeta out. Image

I hope so. When they were in the little tank yesterday, they interacted a little, bit not a ton. Then Vegeta buried himself a little. Image So, we’re playing a waiting game. I know there is no cause for concern yet, but how often should they be coming out to eat?

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:10 pm

Jadeamber22 wrote: I hope so. When they were in the little tank yesterday, they interacted a little, bit not a ton. Then Vegeta buried himself a little. Image So, we’re playing a waiting game. I know there is no cause for concern yet, but how often should they be coming out to eat?

It all depends on the crabby. When I adopted my crab Petunia, she buried herself right away and didn't come up for 7 weeks. So try not to worry too much. I know that is def easier said than done though! Image

Topic author
Jadeamber22

Post by Jadeamber22 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:11 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:It all depends on the crabby. When I adopted my crab Petunia, she buried herself right away and didn't come up for 7 weeks. So try not to worry too much. I know that is def easier said than done though! Image

Thank you! Image