New forums member, old crab owner

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Bwbble

New forums member, old crab owner

Post by Bwbble » Sun May 24, 2020 2:10 am

My younger sister bought a crab named Legs (Purple Pincher) and eventually surrendered him to me (he is past PPS). He lives in my room with one of those crappy PetCo cages with mesh wiring surrounding it. Thats how he lived for a few months, until I discovered this forum and realized this isnt how a crab should live. He has a small cage with no room to dig, a bowl with a wet sponge, a little coconut shell cave, and a food bowl. I want to get him a new home ASAP! Can someone give me a checklist on what to do and where to start? As I am still in my teens, my father would have to help pay for all of this. Hopefully he understands my concern. I want him to live a long and happy life. Please help.

CrabbyLover77

Re: New forums member, old crab owner

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun May 24, 2020 6:28 am

Bwbble wrote:My younger sister bought a crab named Legs (Purple Pincher) and eventually surrendered him to me (he is past PPS). He lives in my room with one of those crappy PetCo cages with mesh wiring surrounding it. Thats how he lived for a few months, until I discovered this forum and realized this isnt how a crab should live. He has a small cage with no room to dig, a bowl with a wet sponge, a little coconut shell cave, and a food bowl. I want to get him a new home ASAP! Can someone give me a checklist on what to do and where to start? As I am still in my teens, my father would have to help pay for all of this. Hopefully he understands my concern. I want him to live a long and happy life. Please help.
Hi! Welcome to the HCA!

Here is the HCA's basic care sheet. It has a lot of great info and a shopping list to get you started!

viewtopic.php?f=120&t=119273

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 1 Pomeranian, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 4 hermit crabs.
"Animals are my friends, and I don’t eat my friends".
-George Bernard Shaw

curlysister

Post by curlysister » Sun May 24, 2020 1:18 pm

Yes, the care sheets are the place to start.
Know that not everything has to be brand new or expensive. Many of us have bought tanks of local buy and sell pages, Kijiji, Craigslist, etc. Rubbermaid type food containers from the dollar store work great as pools. Actually, quite a few things can be found quite cheap at dollar stores, like plastic plants and decor. A jar or terra cotta pot can be put sideways for a hide. Play sand is cheap by the 50 pound bag at hardware stores. Crabs can eat many of the same foods as we do, like fruits, veggies, meats, eggs, etc as long as there are no sauces and seasonings.
And feel free to ask questions if you need to!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun May 24, 2020 1:44 pm

curlysister wrote:Yes, the care sheets are the place to start.
Know that not everything has to be brand new or expensive. Many of us have bought tanks of local buy and sell pages, Kijiji, Craigslist, etc. Rubbermaid type food containers from the dollar store work great as pools. Actually, quite a few things can be found quite cheap at dollar stores, like plastic plants and decor. A jar or terra cotta pot can be put sideways for a hide. Play sand is cheap by the 50 pound bag at hardware stores. Crabs can eat many of the same foods as we do, like fruits, veggies, meats, eggs, etc as long as there are no sauces and seasonings.
And feel free to ask questions if you need to!
I def agree with Curly! Not everything has to be new. The 55 gal tank I'm using for my hermits was given to me many years ago by a friend for free. First it held fish, then I used it for my tortoise, now it has my hermits in it. I've only had to buy the corresponding tops/covers for it. I also have a friend who keeps fish, and we like to trade stuff. If the virus thing weren't happening right now, I love to go to thrift shops, goodwill, and garage sales to find supplies. Image And if you like Amazon, remember that a lot of times, you can buy an item used for cheaper!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 1 Pomeranian, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 4 hermit crabs.
"Animals are my friends, and I don’t eat my friends".
-George Bernard Shaw

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sun May 24, 2020 8:19 pm

Since Crabby and Curly got everything, I'm just here to say welcome to HCA! :D
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
R.I.P George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, Shelly, and Cosmo the dog

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun May 24, 2020 10:21 pm

Hello! Welcome to the HCA and the very addicting world of crabbing! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Bwbble

Post by Bwbble » Mon May 25, 2020 7:40 pm

Thank you everyone!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed May 27, 2020 3:10 am

Welcome to the board, and welcome back to crabbing! ^_^

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Crabs || Fish || Shrimp || Snails || Plants || Insects

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+