New to the crab world!

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Astone

New to the crab world!

Post by Astone » Mon May 25, 2020 9:53 pm

Hi everyone, Very excited to be here!
We just got 2 little crabs our very first ones and already I'm in love with them. We have a 20 gallon tank that I set up last week with both water bowls and food and a few hiding spots, we wanted to set it up first and get temp/humidity set before adding little guys. They have spent 2 days and did nothing but hide so today I did a remodel and added more substrate, and climbing areas and greenery and they LOVE it, they have been exploring the whole tank most of the day, whereas yesterday they just dig down and hid. Would love to post a pic but not sure on how.

CrabbyLover77

Re: New to the crab world!

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon May 25, 2020 10:01 pm

Hi! Welcome to the HCA!
To post pics, you can download the Tapatalk app, and follow the HCA. This will allow you to post pics along with your discussion topic. OR
Not sure if you can do this with your phone/computer, but you can "share" your photo, and then click/tap "create link". This will create a link to your picture that you can share with us.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon May 25, 2020 11:19 pm

Welcome to crabbing! Just a note that if they are dug down under the sub, don't dig them up.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Astone

Post by Astone » Tue May 26, 2020 7:29 am

I will try that app, and no I didn't dig them up, I waited till they came up on their own.

Topic author
Astone

Post by Astone » Tue May 26, 2020 7:29 am

I will try that app, and no I didn't dig them up, I waited till they came up on their own.

Topic author
Astone

Post by Astone » Tue May 26, 2020 7:38 am

This is the updated crabitat and my 2 little onesImageImageImage

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue May 26, 2020 9:50 am

Aw, he's adorable!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue May 26, 2020 10:00 am

So cute!!!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Tue May 26, 2020 12:17 pm

awww so cute, I love his little eyes pokin out ;D and great setup!
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

Topic author
Astone

Post by Astone » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:06 am

So yesterday we decided to grow our hermit family and got 2 more bringing it up to 4! One of the new ones has switched shells at least 5 times since last night, Everytime I look at him he's in a new shell, and 1 of my OG's has switched shells 2x in 3 days. I have run out of shells for them to choose from. I did order a few from Naples shell and they came quickly but obviously need more, where else can I find shells quickly. I tried PetSmart but they only have small ones and painted ones. Can you get them from a craft store?

asiankanye

Post by asiankanye » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:26 am

I'm not completely sure whether craft stores have shells. Even if they do, they probably are just scallop shells or conch shells. I did order some turbos off of Walmart, but this was online and I can't guarantee they have it in the actual store.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/10-Assorted- ... /544647823
I will say the shells they had were pretty good.
EDIT: Shipping was slow
EDIT #2: I noticed in your tank setup you have a hammock that looks like the seagrass hammock at PetSmart. It looks great, but I'm currently having mold issues about a week after purchase. Your tank also looks really good and it's a great start to crabbing!

Topic author
Astone

Post by Astone » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:42 am

Thanks, Walmart shopping is very slow! I just ordered more from Naples should have them by the end of the week. I have had the hammock since day 2 of the tank, I put some moss on it and mist every other day and haven't noticed any mold issues so far, but will keep an eye on it. My smaller guys love to hide up there in the moss, bigger ones haven't tried to climb up there yet

Topic author
Astone

Post by Astone » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:46 am

Just followed your link for Walmart and saw that they are sold by Florida shells and gifts, of you go to their actual website they are cheaper for the same lot of shells

asiankanye

Post by asiankanye » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:15 am

Great! Just make sure if you aren't, try to spray with dechlor saltwater instead of freshwater, that's where I messed up.

Topic author
Astone

Post by Astone » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:25 am

Oh ok I have been using just dechlor water not saltwater. I only use the saltwater in their small dish, I will have to switch it up