New babies

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
MauiMama

New babies

Post by MauiMama » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:44 pm

After mourning the loss of my first hermit, a purple pincher named Maui, I eventually decided I was ready to try again. I picked up a couple today, one tiny and one that's quite large (I am hoping he's nice to my little guy). Due to general distrust of pet store employee advice, I didnt ask many questions, as I've used HCA as the primary source for care information. But because of this, I ended up realizing after purchase that I actually got two Ecuadorian crabs, when I thought I was getting PPs!

That being said, what are the main differences in care/preferences I should know about, vs PPs? I checked the care sheet for Es, but it seems like they are pretty similar to pinchers in general. Then again, some members here have (vaguely/in passing) mentioned that Ecuadorians are harder to care for? I'm still new to crabbing, so I want to be sure I'm doing good by them!

Pictures to come when they are a little less shy!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by MauiMama on Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•°☆~♡~☆°• MauiMama•°☆~♡~☆°•

22pony22

Re: New babies

Post by 22pony22 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:05 pm

I know E’s need lots of things to climb on and won’t be happy if they don’t have things to climb on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
22pony22
Current pets: Happy, Crabcake, Blue and Becca.
RIP: Peaches, Fred, Fishy, Goldie, Buddy, Hero, Nemo, Star, Aqua, Indy, King T. Hermy, Frogi, Grog, Yggorf, #4, Dude, Shelli and Bashful.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:11 pm

Care requirements are pretty similar, but Es tend to be more active.

Topic author
MauiMama

Post by MauiMama » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:12 pm

Things to climb on. Got it. I am working on installing a topper for extra height.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Topic author
MauiMama

Post by MauiMama » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:13 pm

JoeHermits wrote:Care requirements are pretty similar, but Es tend to be more active.

Awesome, that's what I was hoping for. :D

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:16 pm

Also keep in mind, though, that being more active makes it easier for them to get into trouble. We’ve had several members report streaking (they prefer to run than hide, and dropping their shell can help with a quick getaway) and cannibalism (find weak crabs more easily) from them.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:29 pm

According to the care sheet, your substrate should be deeper, more like 8-10" instead of 6". Apparently they like to tunnel and dig up molters. They also like temps at 80°F +, while PPs do ok at 75°. That's all I can think of for now.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
MauiMama

Post by MauiMama » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:37 pm

JoeHermits wrote:Also keep in mind, though, that being more active makes it easier for them to get into trouble. We’ve had several members report streaking (they prefer to run than hide, and dropping their shell can help with a quick getaway) and cannibalism (find weak crabs more easily) from them.

Should I worry if his only tank mate is a tiny crab? Is it safer to house similarly sized Es together?

Also, is this more of a problem if their conditions are not correctly maintained, or is this just their personality in general?

Topic author
MauiMama

Post by MauiMama » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:40 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:According to the care sheet, your substrate should be deeper, more like 8-10" instead of 6". Apparently they like to tunnel and dig up molters. They also like temps at 80°F +, while PPs do ok at 75°. That's all I can think of for now. Image

I hope this one in particular leaves his buddy alone when he's shedding!

Thanks for the tips!

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:43 pm

MauiMama wrote:Should I worry if his only tank mate is a tiny crab? Is it safer to house similarly sized Es together?

Also, is this more of a problem if their conditions are not correctly maintained, or is this just their personality in general?
I do not keep Ecuadorians, however many people have kept them successfully. For the most part they will get along if proper care is given.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:00 pm

MauiMama wrote:I hope this one in particular leaves his buddy alone when he's shedding!

Thanks for the tips!

You're welcome! Image

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:20 am

They also need 2 proteins and 2 calciums a day.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:52 am

We have been keeping 4 E's and 4 purples together with no issues since February. We keep approximately 10" of substrate and tons of climbing areas and two wheels in our 65 gallon tall. Our biggest E, Gunshow and biggest purple, HHH get into some heated antenna debates, but not much more.

We did have our smallest E, Damien resurface from a molt naked two months ago. He is the smallest crab in the tank so we ruled out a shell jacking. We think his shell filled with sand while digging and it was easier to ditch the shell than to clean it. We put him in ISO for a few day with some new shells. He took a new shell and kept it. Once back in the regular tank he somehow found his original ditched shell. We haven't had an issue since.

Like everyone mentioned deeper substrate, lots and lots of climbing area, plenty of additional hides and offering multiple proteins will help caring for E's.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:06 am

MauiMama wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:37 pm

It's the crab itself. Some are sweet, some are killer.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:23 pm

I have kept Es with no issues. I personally recommend the following:
A minimum of 10-12" of substrate- Es love to dig
At least 2 protein choices daily
A couple of calcium choices at all times (Cuttlebone, oyster shell, shrimp exo, lobster exo, crab exo are all examples).
At least 10 gallons PER crab for Es. Es do not like being crowded.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com