New babies

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
MauiMama

Re: New babies

Post by MauiMama » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:39 pm

GotButterflies wrote: At least 10 gallons PER crab for Es. Es do not like being crowded.
Does this still apply in my case of one large crab and one pretty small crab?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited by MauiMama on Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•°☆~♡~☆°• MauiMama•°☆~♡~☆°•

Topic author
MauiMama

Post by MauiMama » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:40 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:They also need 2 proteins and 2 calciums a day.
This shouldn't be a problem for me, we have meat and plant proteins every day ourselves and I am happy to share!

I keep cuttlebone in the tank all the time. I'm researching more calcium options today.

Topic author
MauiMama

Post by MauiMama » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:46 pm

I'll definitely have to pick up some more sub. I underestimated how much I had and how much they need (8"+ vs 6" for my last guy). I'm new to using coco fiber, as I used the Hermit Beach mix exclusively with my first crab. I misunderstood the mix ratio, so I need more sand.

Topic author
MauiMama

Post by MauiMama » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:49 pm

Motörcrab wrote: Our biggest E, Gunshow and biggest purple, HHH get into some heated antenna debates, but not much more.
How do these debates usually end? This is my first time owning more than one crab at a time, so I'm nervous about aggression or bullying.

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:41 pm

I attached the E care sheet, if that helps at all (you probably viewed it already though). What I've learned is that Es require more heat, sub, humidity, and climbing/running room, as they are more active. I had an E and he was with 3 other PPs (one about his size and 2 smaller) and they all seemed to get along well. Congrats on the Es! :D
viewtopic.php?f=120&t=92454
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
MauiMama

Post by MauiMama » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:31 pm

Crabby7Crabber wrote:I attached the E care sheet, if that helps at all (you probably viewed it already though). What I've learned is that Es require more heat, sub, humidity, and climbing/running room, as they are more active. I had an E and he was with 3 other PPs (one about his size and 2 smaller) and they all seemed to get along well. Congrats on the Es! :D
viewtopic.php?f=120&t=92454
I did read through it, but there wasn't much specific info, so I was just looking to get some personal-experience opinions :D

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:49 pm

MauiMama wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:49 pm
How do these debates usually end? This is my first time owning more than one crab at a time, so I'm nervous about aggression or bullying.
Usually ours work everything out and go their separate ways. We have seen some pushing and shoving around the food bowls. Adding additional food bowls or keeping the dishes apart helps with that. Like wodesorel said it all depends on the crabs.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
MauiMama

Post by MauiMama » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:07 pm

I'm glad they can come to a peaceful resolution!

Topic author
MauiMama

Post by MauiMama » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:15 pm

I got some extra sub for the crabbies, but now one of them dug down! I'll probably wait to add it until he reappears.

I've seen that you are only supposed to add an inch of substrate at a time - does that only apply if someone is buried? Or do they get mad if previously-built tunnels get screwed up?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:39 pm

MauiMama wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:39 pm
Does this still apply in my case of one large crab and one pretty small crab?
This is for Ecuadorians - regardless of size. This is my personal opinion. Ecuadorians do not tolerate crowding at all. I have kept Es by following all of the recommendations I gave you without any issues. I house them with PPs.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:44 pm

MauiMama wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:15 pm
I got some extra sub for the crabbies, but now one of them dug down! I'll probably wait to add it until he reappears.

I've seen that you are only supposed to add an inch of substrate at a time - does that only apply if someone is buried? Or do they get mad if previously-built tunnels get screwed up?
You never want to add more than 1" of substrate per day. Never move any items that are in the substrate (decorations) because that can collapse tunnels and molting caves. If you collapse molting caves they can suffocate.

As far as temps - I let my temps go up to 86, but never higher. Es definitely love the warmer temps, and the PPs don't mind it either. Just make sure the humidity stays up there too. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
MauiMama

Post by MauiMama » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:38 pm

Am I okay to add more than an inch a day if all residents are up?

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:51 am

MauiMama wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:38 pm
Am I okay to add more than an inch a day if all residents are up?

Yes.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
MauiMama

Post by MauiMama » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:37 am

GotButterflies wrote:
As far as temps - I let my temps go up to 86, but never higher. Es definitely love the warmer temps, and the PPs don't mind it either. Just make sure the humidity stays up there too. :)
My humidity is ridiculous, I can't get it to go lower than 90 xD But my temp is always just shy of 80, despite having two UTHs on the back and side of the tank and a towel over the top. This has been somewhat frustrating, as I know they'd prefer it just a little warmer.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:24 pm

MauiMama wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:37 am
My humidity is ridiculous, I can't get it to go lower than 90 xD But my temp is always just shy of 80, despite having two UTHs on the back and side of the tank and a towel over the top. This has been somewhat frustrating, as I know they'd prefer it just a little warmer.
You can try to insulate around your heat pads with aluminum foil (shiny part facing the crabitat), then cardboard. Don't insulate over your heating pad if it is a zoomed. If doing the insulation doesn't raise your temperature, you might want to consider getting a better heater. Most of us use ultratherms. They are great heaters. www.reptilebasics.com or www.beanfarm.com
I keep my humidity around 99 with no ill effects.