Hello! New hermit crab owner!

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
hermie3

Hello! New hermit crab owner!

Post by hermie3 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:25 pm

Hello there!

My 5 year old son has been obsessed with crabs (all kinds) for the last 2 years. His preschool teacher sent home the class hermit crabs with us for what initially was a temporary stay while the school was shut down for covid-19. My son has fallen in love and the teacher has given us the crabs to be a permanent part of our family. The instructions were simply to give the crabs some water and food. LOL!! Well, after researching these guys, I've learned there is a lot more to it than that! I have now added saltwater, deeper substrate, fresh foods and am monitoring the humidity. Got new shells yesterday, sterilized them and added them today. I just (literally) 30 minutes ago watched (and video recorded) one of them switching shells. It was so amazing!!!

For my son's rapidly approaching birthday next week, I'd like to get them a bigger glass enclosure and the rest of the things we seem to be missing. I have some other specific questions on getting the crabitat set up right, so I think I should make a post in that specific discussion forum? (seems like that is what I am supposed to do when reading the instructions).

So, I'll mozy on over there and make a post- but just wanted to say hello here.

Thanks!

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hello! New hermit crab owner!

Post by JoeHermits » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:14 pm

Welcome to the HCA! Hopefully your hermit crabs aren’t proving to be too much of a hassle :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22pony22

Post by 22pony22 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:17 pm

Welcome!

The biggest piece of advice I can give is stay far away from anything that has a photo of a hermit crab OR says hermit crab on it

10 gallon is the minimum sized tank you should consider getting.

Use play sand and eco earth and you need at least 6 inches. Will need an under tank heater that goes on the back

Make sure you buy a second crab. They are social.

Again, don’t buy anything with a hermit crab on it. This includes calcium sand which pet stores always try and tell you that you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
22pony22
Current pets: Happy, Crabcake, Blue and Becca.
RIP: Peaches, Fred, Fishy, Goldie, Buddy, Hero, Nemo, Star, Aqua, Indy, King T. Hermy, Frogi, Grog, Yggorf, #4, Dude, Shelli and Bashful.

Topic author
hermie3

Post by hermie3 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:49 pm

Thank you! They are a lot of fun and no trouble ;-) Just want to make sure I am setting up their future new home better than what they arrived to our house in. We have 3 hermies and I am planning on a 20 gallon (long) tank with a glass lid. I just posted my other questions on the crabitat forum if any of you have time to wander over there and share some wisdom. I feel so silly for asking some of them, but I want to do it right!

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:18 pm

Welcome to HCA :)
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺