New Crab!

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
lnhbulldog1

New Crab!

Post by lnhbulldog1 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:32 am

Hi! My sister brought home a crab from her beach trip recently and I felt awful it was gonna die so I took over and bought all the needed supplies. I’m looking to adopt one or two more so Herman isn’t alone anymore but I’m waiting until after his first molt is over (he’s currently buried). My problem is I’m heading off to college in August and my dorm only allows fish. Any advice? I want to keep him and give him a good life but I’m not sure what to do. Also is it ok to just have coconut fiber as my substrate (I have it pretty deep) or do I have to mix in sand as well?

22pony22

Re: New Crab!

Post by 22pony22 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:47 am

Substrate- can use either or a mix of them.

College- if your collage says fish only then fish only. Hermit crabs are advertised on Petsmart website with the fish but all their supplies are advertised with reptile stuff. Most colleges say a single fish in a tank under 1 gallon. Hermit crabs can’t be in anything less then 10 gallons. I would recommend teaching your sister or parents how to care for them. If you want to still be the primary caregiver to them then maybe your sister/ parents could email you progress reports? Like how the environment is. Who’s down molting etc. If that won’t work then the only other option is to find them another home. OR consider living off campus with friends. If your residence says only fish then your only allowed fish. You don’t want to be that student that wrecks the allowed fish rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
22pony22
Current pets: Happy, Crabcake, Blue and Becca.
RIP: Peaches, Fred, Fishy, Goldie, Buddy, Hero, Nemo, Star, Aqua, Indy, King T. Hermy, Frogi, Grog, Yggorf, #4, Dude, Shelli and Bashful.

asiankanye

Post by asiankanye » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:40 pm

Coconut fiber only is fine, it's just that sand is more natural for them and it's also better for their molting habits.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:24 pm

Good answer re- College Pony.

As for substrate, you can use all EE or all sand. But most people find that a mix of the two is easiest to maintain. The most common ratio is 5 parts play sand to 1 part EE. It maintains moisture well, holds it's shape, helps with humidity. Whatever sub you use should be moistened to sand castle consistency.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers