Should I Get Into Crabs?

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
CrazedHoosier

Should I Get Into Crabs?

Post by CrazedHoosier » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:56 pm

Well, I’m new but also not so new. I kept hermit crabs as a child and as a young teen, but both ended in failure. I was way too young to take care of such an intricate animal, and my mistakes still haunt me. However, as an adult I am keeping 3 aquariums running, 2 leopard geckos, 1 crested gecko, and a dog alive, so I’m think my skills have improved. All that being said, I’m very uncertain whether or not I should get into hermit crabs again. Not only does there seem to be a lot of ethical issues, but I’m not sure how well I can accommodate. I have a 20 gallon long aquarium that’s available, but I don’t know if that’s enough for a couple crabs to live their entire lives in. Also, how often do their entire enclosures need cleaned (substrate changed)? That was always something I struggled with. I know about the saltwater + freshwater, humidity and heat requirements from the old days. Are there any new (last 10 years) discoveries about hermit crab care? Thanks in advance!

Hermielover121

Re: Should I Get Into Crabs?

Post by Hermielover121 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:06 pm

Hi welcome to the HCA. A 20 gallon is enough to fit 2 crabs maximum for there whole life. If u do go with the 20 gallon then I would recommend getting a small species of hermit crabs like pps or some others. The substrate really doesn’t have to ever be completely changed unless there is a bacterial bloom. I would also recommend reading all the care sheets it should tell you everything u need to know. I love my hermit crabs so much and I could not live without them, so if you can commit to these amazing cute little crabs then I really think you should get them and experience the amazing and addicting world of crabbing.
{Fantum~Rose}

Topic author
CrazedHoosier

Post by CrazedHoosier » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:41 pm

Could I get a couple Es? Do PPs still work with Es, or is that an outdated practice? That’s good news on the substrate! I’m trying to read around on different sites and such, but I get surprised by how much bad info is still out there on these animals. It’s almost like nothing has changed in the way the GP views hermit crabs since I last kept them.

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:53 pm

Yes they still work with each other but once they start growing bigger you would have to upgrade their tank if you were to have an E and pps. I would recommend just sticking to the HCA for all your research as you just said that there’s a lot of bad info that breaks all of our crabbers hearts how people think that that misinformation is how they should be treated. Hope everything goes well feel free to ask any questions you like
{Fantum~Rose}

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilverHermits

Post by SilverHermits » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:44 am

If you do decide to get hermit crabs you should know they are a long term commitment. Hermit crabs can live for over 40 years. The oldest one in captivity is about 45 years old, and still crawling. Some have been recorded living between 50-70 years in the wild. Although it's rare for hermit crabs to live over 20 years in captivity, most die within a year.

Hermit crabs are quite expensive too. Shells are also really expensive, specially when they get big. A single jumbo turbo shell cost between $15 and $35. And THEN there's the rabbit hole of stuff to buy for your hermit crabs, food, toys, etc...

I'm not trying to convince you not to get hermit crabs, just know what your getting into. :)
Crabber for over 11 years
16 hermit crabs
13 Purple Pinchers, 2 Straws and a Brevi
Tanks: 100g, 75g, 29g+ a bunch of smaller ones

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Should I Get Into Crabs?

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:27 am

A twenty-long will hold a few small hermit crabs for several years, but bigger is better if possible. It can take about twenty years for a small or medium to reach jumbo size.

I don’t change my substrate, but I do churn it up every few years to reduce compaction and increase aeration. Replacing it every few years isn’t a bad idea though, since everything you add will end up in the substrate and is basically stuck there.

As for new discoveries, we try to keep current. Just about everything you need to know is in our care guides. Of course, if you find out something new, feel free to share ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk